I intend to buy a handheld.

Old July 23rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default I intend to buy a handheld.

The NAV function is of use when you have to talk to FSS on a COM
frequency and listen on a NAV.
Also, weather information is available on some NAV's
Old July 23rd 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan Gerber

john smith wrote:
The NAV function is of use when you have to talk to FSS on a COM
frequency and listen on a NAV.

Is that capability built in, or do you have to switch frequencies every
time you switch between transmitting and receiving?

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
gerber AT panix DOT com
Old July 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Alan Gerber wrote:

john smith wrote:
The NAV function is of use when you have to talk to FSS on a COM
frequency and listen on a NAV.

Is that capability built in, or do you have to switch frequencies every
time you switch between transmitting and receiving?

Built into the ICOM's.
The original A-2 had the same processor programming as the ham 2m IC-2AT.
Using the 2AT instructions on programming the repeater duplex offset,
one could program the air band to perform the same function (tune NAV to
listen/receive, depress PTT button and the frequencey would change to
the COM frequency to transmit.
Old July 24th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Flyingmonk,

Anyone have
experiences w/ the Yaesu's?

My wife sells them in her pilot shop. Great units, people love them.
Very compact and light weight, water resistant. The 710 is more compact
than the cheaper 300 and runs on LiIon batteries. If you use it as an
emergency back-up, get the battery box for non-rechargables, since they
will hold charge much longer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thanks Thomas BTW, my little brother is named Thomas also 8^)

What's Yaesu's latest and smallest com only model out right now? Price
and size? How much shipping to east coast? Cheaper 4 me to buy
locally maybe? Is quality competitive with Icoms?

Thanks again,
Monk

Old July 24th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Default Yaesu, formerly I intend to buy a handheld.

Thank you all for your inputs the Yaesu radios. Next step is for
me to physically see and feel the difference between the Icom and the
Yaesu and do a value (bang for bucks) comparison. Next visit to the
airport, I'll see if i can try them at the FBO.

Monk

Old July 24th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank you all for your inputs the Yaesu radios. Next step is for
me to physically see and feel the difference between the Icom and the
Yaesu and do a value (bang for bucks) comparison. Next visit to the
airport, I'll see if i can try them at the FBO.

`
You know, I don't think I have seen anyone mention what I consider a couple
of the most important things, to me

One, is what the method of selecting a frequency is. If you have to push a
button that raises the frequency one step at a time, you have to sit there
and wait, and watch as it scrolls around to what you want. Pain in the but,
I think. I like a keyboard to enter the numbers.

Second, is how easy is it to put a frequency into memory. If it is not
something you do often, is it going to be difficult to remember the sequence
of buttons to get the right things flashing and entered, whatnot, to get the
job done?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Flyingmonk,

What's Yaesu's latest and smallest com only model out right now?

They quit upgrading the comm only models with the 150. Guess it's no big
deal to add nav once you have it figured out. Their most compact is the
VXA-710. More info at http://www.vertexstandard.com

Price
and size? How much shipping to east coast? Cheaper 4 me to buy
locally maybe?

Absolutely buy in the US. My wife's shop is in Germany ;-) Pilotmall.com
or Avshop.com will sell them.

Is quality competitive with Icoms?

Absolutely. Yaesu/Vertex Standard is a major ham radio manufacturer with
decades of experience, just like Icom.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Cub,

Isn't Yaseu now called Vertex?

Yep. Same company, obscure branding ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cub Driver

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:34:17 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

Second, is how easy is it to put a frequency into memory. If it is not
something you do often, is it going to be difficult to remember the sequence
of buttons to get the right things flashing and entered, whatnot, to get the
job done?

I have to get out the manual whenever I do anything with my Vertex
(formerly Yaseu). But then I get out the manual whenever I do anything
with my Garmin too.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old July 24th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
You know, I don't think I have seen anyone mention what I consider a couple
of the most important things, to me

One, is what the method of selecting a frequency is. If you have to push a
button that raises the frequency one step at a time, you have to sit there
and wait, and watch as it scrolls around to what you want. Pain in the but,
I think. I like a keyboard to enter the numbers.

Second, is how easy is it to put a frequency into memory. If it is not
something you do often, is it going to be difficult to remember the sequence
of buttons to get the right things flashing and entered, whatnot, to get the
job done?

Some personal experience points about the A24:

Frequency selection can be accomplished via keypad or rotary knob, take
your pick. The keypad can be locked out so inadvertent changes are
ignored. Holding the 121.5 key for a few seconds overrides the lockout.

Memory - The A24 remembers the last (10) frequencies used, in addition
to the current, so I've never bothered with memories or alpha tags. In
my personal experience, I'm consulting a chart or AF/D for much more
than the last 10. Hitting the "CLR" key drops you out of the 10
memories back to the current.