Me-262, NOT Bell X-1 Broke SB First

Old October 8th 03, 10:53 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:56:10 +0100, Ken Duffey
wrote:

As a result, the P-42 was able to gather
speed and break through the sonic barrier when climbing".

It doesn't actually say 'climbing vertically' - but it does say supersonic
whilst climbing.

Which returns (for the very last time, I promise) to my contention.
I've never doubted the ability of the F-15, nor the P-42, nor for that
matter, the F-4E or even the lowly T-38 to "break through the sonic
barrier when climbing".

My argument was purely rhetorical and dealing with the symantics of
accelerating through the mach when vertical. There's a huge difference
between stabilized vertical flight sub-sonic, then selecting full
thrust and achieving supersonic with pure vertical acceleration.

I postulate once mo pick a subsonic speed--I like around 500 kts
indicated. Pull up to vertical--throttle modulation to maintain
airspeed is acceptable. When established vertical, still subsonic,
stabilize pitch (this will require zero G) and accelerate through the
mach.

Factors involved:

Making the initial pitch up at such an indicated airspeed without
climbing through an altitude at which the mach is passed prior to
achieving vertical.

Decrease in thrust as altitude increases. Remember that vaunted
1-to-1 T/W is measured at sea level.

Available altitude before running into service ceiling

Available fuel--while lighter means easier acceleration, fuel
consumption also means running out of fuel.

Temp/altitude changes in relationship of mach to indicated to true.

The simple problem of reliable fuel flow in the unloaded G state
required to maintain vertical.

There's probably more at work, but the problem is complex and neither
the Streak Eagle experience or the Soviet record meet the discussion
criteria.

End of diatribe.

Old October 8th 03, 10:53 PM
Guy Alcala

WaltBJ wrote:

SNIP:
Ed Rasimus wrote:
Now, let's put to bed this idea of accelerating through the mach
straight up.

A couple reminders:
1) with a thrust to weight atio of 1.6:1 the Streak Eagle is
distinctly higher powered than anything any of us flew in the service.
2) It's shedding weight in full afterburner during the takeoff and
climb. I don't know what the fuel consumption of an F15 full-out is
but it's certainly over a ton a minute, so the T/W is increasing.

F100-PW-100, 860lb./min. SL static uninstalled, each (probably not with the
VMAX switch). As you say, could be more when they're cooking along.

snip

5) BTW with Jeff Ethell's flying experience and the highly visible
attitude direction indicator in an F15 why question his statement that
they were indeed vertical? Checking a vertical climb on the gyro is no
big deal - and one also looks out at the horizon.

I'm allowing for the possibility that he was a bit overwhelmed by the rate
of data. ISTM that Ethell mainly flew prop a/c; AFAIK he was never a jet
jock by trade. I've got an account from a seasoned RCAF jet jock (Mustang
and Vampire in training, Sabre in Germany) transitioning to the CF-104D,
who says he was way behind the a/c on his first takeoff, which was his
first a/c with A/B.

It seems possible to me that Ethell may have been in the same boat, as
although he'd undoubtedly flown in jet fighters prior to that, he'd never
flown them for a living. Besides, I imagine the seat of the pants
difference between true vertical and 75 degrees or so is pretty small, if
you're not rolling on the way up. But maybe he was staring right at the
HUD ladder the entire time, and they were in fact climbing at 90 deg. I
don't know, I just thought I'd better mention the possibility that they
weren't true vertical.

Guy

Old October 9th 03, 12:27 AM
B2431

From: John Halliwell

B2431

writes
It's basic calculus.

I'm not too sure if 'basic' and 'calculus' sit too well together

Compared to what I learned, and have since forgotten in calc 2 and 3 it is
basic. If you want to see a course that makes sanity seem like an illusion try
one in imagionary variables.

Algebra is when you stop counting on your fingers and start using your toes.
Calculus is when you tie those toes in knots. Differential equations is when
you start learning you are now different..........etc.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old October 9th 03, 11:36 PM
cj

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:20:04 GMT, "cj" wrote:

I was on a civilian firefighting helicopter based at George in

1981.
We were on the edge of transient parking past Chopper Ops and near

the
California Air National Guard hanger. A few times we got to see

the
Delta Darts go chase a blip. They would roll out of the hanger two

at
a time and go vertical ASAP - very cool.

- cj

None of which is impressive compared to a cat launch :-)

Al Minyard

I don't doubt that!

I didn't go everywhere at George (especially immediately after the
Gulf of Sidra showdown when the nice folk with the blue uniforms and
white gloves started wearing camo and carrying automatic weapons), but
I don't seem to recall seeing a catapult there.

However, there were some arrest cables on the runway - they didn't get
used much.

-cj

Old October 10th 03, 02:05 AM
B2431

None of which is impressive compared to a cat launch :-)

Al Minyard

You put cats in a trebuchet? Do they always land on their feet?

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old October 10th 03, 03:05 AM
WaltBJ

Saw the remark on a cat launch. FWIW at the Logan drags last weekend
the fastest quarter mile time was 4.524 seconds which comps out to
about an average 4.03 G and a top speed of around 315 mph. Let's see
now, if I took my 99 Honda Civic and put in a . . . .
Walt BJ

bell xp-77-info? J. Paaso Home Built 0 March 25th 04 12:19 PM
It broke! Need help please! Gerrie Home Built 0 August 11th 03 10:24 PM