US companies hiring pilots from abroad?

Old July 16th 04, 02:28 AM
Anibal

Default US companies hiring pilots from abroad?

Hi
I am a Commercial pilot with 1500 hs tt (40 multi), most of them flown
in Florida as a CFI. I am from Argentina and I came back here after
the J1 visa I had expired.
I have heard from several pilots that the aviation industry is
starting to pick up after the crisis caused by the 9/11 attacks.
Does anybody know any aviation company that could use my services?
They would have to help me get a working visa but they wouln´t need to
worry about me going to another company after six months as it used to
happen.
Thank you

Anibal
Old July 16th 04, 04:31 AM
Brad Z

I'm pretty sure that unless you're willing to work for biscuits and water,
Companies have plenty of commercial pilots with US Citizenship to choose
from.

Any jobs for us American pilots in Argentina?

om...

Old July 16th 04, 01:57 PM
Anibal

Yes, you are probably right. I will have to see.

Over here, I guess an american pilot could find a job (if there is
any). All he needs to do is get his(her)american licenses
converted-which from my experience can take more than a year (yes, one
year)- and of course learn to speak spanish (forget about english
being the aviation lenguaje, everybody speaks his own tongue when he
is on his own country). Plus getting a working permit which it may be
a bit easier than in the US but I am not so sure. Most aliens than
work here do it with false paperwork and they work in construction.

And this person needs to maintain himself during that period, then
live in fear from being kidnapped if anyone finds he has money, he can
walk around Buenos Aires and enjoy the sights which are actually very
pretty, but there are always groups complainging about this or that
and they cut the streets so the traffic is a chaos.

Ah, but asuming this lucky individual undergoes all the process, he
could start looking for a job here. Are there any jobs here? Maybe.
Depends on how much you are not willing to earn. And they are really
hard to find. An instructor makes 5% of what the school charges for
the airplane (say they charge 180 pesos -about 60 dollars- and he gets
10) that means they have to rely on somebody else to live. There´s a
lot of people that fly for free just to keep current or get hours,
altough they don´t realize they are taking the profesion lower and
lower.

Want another number? United express is hiring 70 pilots a month at
least till the end of the year (i know it from a guy that was hired).
And there are several US big companies that are hiring too.
Here last year Aerolineas Argentinas(pretty much the only airline left
after 5 o 6 years of economic problems) started hiring people and so
far they actually hired about 10 pilots.

So you want to fly in Argentina? you can come here to build hours,and
rent a plane for 60 or 70 dollars (you can fly a Baron for 150)and go
land in grass runways, fly with very few airspace restrictions, and of
course nobody will think you are trying to bomb their house with a
nuke every time they see you go by in C-172. If you just come to visit
or something like that it is great. I like the flying here. The
problem is to actually work as a pilot and live as such.
Take care

Anibal

Old July 16th 04, 04:56 PM
Magnus

It's mostly a question of visas, no company will hire you unless you're
"legally allowed to live and work in the united states" so... get married
Old July 18th 04, 09:28 PM
tscottme

"Brad Z" wrote in message
I'm pretty sure that unless you're willing to work for biscuits and water,
Companies have plenty of commercial pilots with US Citizenship to choose
from.

They have so many pilots to choose from than some companies are charging
applicants for the privilege of working. That's why I left the serious side
of the business. My options appeared to be choosing among which Air
Shoeshine job. One example was for me to pay the company $8k for training
costs, no guarantee of a job when completed, and the opportunity to earn up
to $18k per year.

--
Scott

Old July 19th 04, 03:58 AM
Capt.Doug

"Brad Z" wrote in message Any jobs for us American pilots in Argentina?

Only if your father is an airline pilot. Those airline jobs are highly
coveted and outsiders are unlikely to get a foot in the door.

D.

Old July 19th 04, 03:58 AM
Capt.Doug

"Anibal" wrote in message Does anybody know any aviation company that
could use my services?
They would have to help me get a working visa but they wouln´t need to
worry about me going to another company after six months as it used to
happen.

I just went through this for a friend from Argentia. You will spend up to 3
years getting a work visa. The lawyers will take a hefty chunk of money. You
still won't get a job with an airline until you have resident alien status,
and even then the larger airlines won't hire you until you have citizen
status.

D.

Old July 20th 04, 02:19 PM
Anibal

You are quite right about it D. I´d rather not say publicly what I
think of it. Let´s just say I am one of those outsiders.

Old July 22nd 04, 03:28 PM
Clay

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message ...
"Anibal" wrote in message Does anybody know any aviation company that
could use my services?
They would have to help me get a working visa but they wouln´t need to
worry about me going to another company after six months as it used to
happen.

I just went through this for a friend from Argentia. You will spend up to 3
years getting a work visa. The lawyers will take a hefty chunk of money. You
still won't get a job with an airline until you have resident alien status,
and even then the larger airlines won't hire you until you have citizen
status.

D.

Please apply for a flying job in Argentina. We have too many US born
and raised pilots in the US trying for the few good flying jobs. Too
much competition and the airlines take advantage by paying low wages
to pilots because they can. Simple supply and demand econimics.
I am happy you came to the US for your training. We just do not have
enough jobs to go around in aviation.