Transmissions

Old April 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
Maule Driver

Some a/c names won't work consistently no matter what you say....

"Maule 1234Foxtrot blah blah..."
"1234Foxtrot, Say type of aircraft?"
"A Maule, an M7" (M7 is what DUATs eats)
"uhhh, got it, Mooney 1234Foxtrot blah blah"
"Maule 1234F, wilco, that's a Maule, 180hp, single engine high wing, fixed
gear" (i.e. much slower than Mooney).
2 hours and 3 controllers away....
"Mooney 1234F blah blah"
etc

Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

"Hankal" wrote in message
I would combine the two, "Skyhawk 12345". Please, do not combine them as
"Cessna 172 12345"

I never use Cessna 172. Always use Skyhawk. Of course some controllers

come
back "say aircraft"

Old April 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Maule Driver" said:
Sometimes it would be easier to call myself a Skyhawk.

If it's a high wing, call yourself a Cessna. If it's a low wing, call
yourself a Cherokee.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know
Old April 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
John Harper

That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

And of course actually I'd called in as a Skylane.
Quite often I become a Skyhawk, but I've been lots
of other things too: Cherokee, Bonanza, ... I've never
been a Citation, which is a bit disappointing to both of us.

John

Old April 2nd 04, 05:42 PM
Roy Smith

"John Harper" wrote:
That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

I had one of those the other day.

We were coming back into HPN in a Bonanza. We were a little late so we
had the speed up in our descent, and were indicating about 200 MPH (170
KIAS, more or less). We were VFR, on about a 15 mile final, when NY
Aproach told us to stay off the localizer because he had a DC-9 behind
us on the ILS who was number 1 for the airport. Yeah right.

So we skootched a bit over to the left and kept chugging along. The
controller kept calling out the DC-9 traffic at 5 O'Clock, but we never
saw him. Eventually, we were down to about 5 miles out, still keeping
pace with the DC-9 (and still not having him in sight) when the
controller gave up and had us to a 360 to let him pass.

What ever happened to first come, first served? :-)
Old April 2nd 04, 07:08 PM
Doug Carter

Transiting Pittsburgh, which seems to be referred to as
"Pits approach" in a Pitts Special took a couple of trys
but the controller figured it out.
Old April 2nd 04, 07:31 PM
Ron Natalie

"Maule Driver" wrote in message m...
Some a/c names won't work consistently no matter what you say....

"Maule 1234Foxtrot blah blah..."

Baltimore Approach always managed to get our Navion identified as a Navajo.
I never understood this until it was pointed out to me that the approach controllers
just shorthand in a single letter for aircraft types on VFR popups. C for Cessna,
P for piper....
Old April 2nd 04, 07:56 PM
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message =
=20
I had one of those the other day.
=20
We were coming back into HPN in a Bonanza. We were a little late so =

we=20
had the speed up in our descent, and were indicating about 200 MPH =

(170=20
KIAS, more or less). We were VFR, on about a 15 mile final, when NY=20
Aproach told us to stay off the localizer because he had a DC-9 behind =

us on the ILS who was number 1 for the airport. Yeah right.
=20
So we skootched a bit over to the left and kept chugging along. The=20
controller kept calling out the DC-9 traffic at 5 O'Clock, but we =

never=20
saw him. Eventually, we were down to about 5 miles out, still keeping =

pace with the DC-9 (and still not having him in sight) when the=20
controller gave up and had us to a 360 to let him pass.
=20
What ever happened to first come, first served? :-)

If the DC-9 was already number 1 for the airport when you checked in,
that sounds like "first come, first served" to me, Roy. :-)

I'll bet you'll reduce your own speed the next time you're in that =
situation.
The DC-9 surely was already slowing toward the 200-kt speed limit.
Too bad the controller didn't call out the relative speeds earlier to =
you.
---JRC---

Old April 2nd 04, 09:05 PM
Newps

Ron Natalie wrote:

Baltimore Approach always managed to get our Navion identified as a Navajo.
I never understood this until it was pointed out to me that the approach controllers
just shorthand in a single letter for aircraft types on VFR popups. C for Cessna,
P for piper....

Every facility has their own procedures for tagging up the VFR targets.
We use C for Cessna and P for Piper too but we also use CK for
Cherokee TC for twin Cessna, CQ for Conquest, CT for Citation, NJ for
Navajo, NV for Navion. We have about 25 different ones for VFR use.

Old April 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
Newps

He also takes into account the speed you will be slowing to on final.
170 is great 10 miles out but can you do 140 until 1 mile out?

Old April 2nd 04, 11:04 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

John Harper wrote:
That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

The Seneca can't fly faster than a retractable Skylane? I find that
hard to believe. Did he have an engine out? :-)

Matt