Flying GA into DC ADIZ

Old August 14th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Doe[_2_]

Default Flying GA into DC ADIZ

I need to go to DC tomorrow and I'm looking for the easiest airport to fly
into.

I'd love to fly into National but that just isn't going to happen anymore.

What's the next best choice for getting downtown? (I'd prefer to get to a
metro stop vs renting a car)

I'm looking into KHEF and I've done KFME (Ft Meade/Tipton) before and I'd
rather get in closer on the VA side.

tks.

Old August 14th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

John Doe wrote:
I need to go to DC tomorrow and I'm looking for the easiest airport to fly
into.

I'd love to fly into National but that just isn't going to happen anymore.

What's the next best choice for getting downtown? (I'd prefer to get to a
metro stop vs renting a car)

I'm looking into KHEF and I've done KFME (Ft Meade/Tipton) before and I'd
rather get in closer on the VA side.

tks.

HEF has commuter trains into DC. Call the local FBOs for schedules. JYO
is an option but you will have to rent a car. IAD is also an option if
you do not mind paying through the nose for parking.

Michelle P
Old August 15th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
PPT33R

As stated, there is a Virginia Railway Express station on the north
side of the airport, a bit of a hike, but is easily walkable from
Dulles Aviation on the west side (tower will ask if you are parking
east or west side on approach before assigning a runway...) Much
longer hike from the east side FBO.

VRE schedules are posted, but it is strictly a commuter train. That
means NO weekend service, and only morning and evening rush hour
service. It is about an hour train ride to the district from the
"Broad Run / Airport" station.

The VRE stops in Crystal City, VA if you need to get to the Pentagon,
and L'Enfant Plaza and Union Station in the District. Check out WWW
dot VRE dot ORG for schedules and fares.

There really isn't any GA airport convenient to Metro anymore. VKX is
still open, but you have to go through a complete background check and
fingerprinting to use...

The other option would be Gaithersburg, but again you are renting a
car.

There are cars available right at KHEF if needed. Last train back from
Union Station is 18:50 I believe. If you miss that one, you would be
best served taking the Metro to the end of the Orange line, then
picking up a cab from there, but it will still hurt...

Good luck.

Old August 16th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

PPT33R wrote:

There really isn't any GA airport convenient to Metro anymore. VKX is
still open, but you have to go through a complete background check and
fingerprinting to use...

VKX never got you anywhere near the metro...perhaps you're thinking
of CGS?

The other option would be Gaithersburg, but again you are renting a
car.

Nope, you can get a cab at GAI to take you to the metro.

The Impossibility of Flying Heavy Aircraft Without Training Immanuel Goldstein Home Built 331 March 10th 06 01:07 AM
IFR ADIZ Flying ? John Doe Piloting 8 November 21st 05 01:10 AM
Mountain Flying Course: Colorado, Apr, Jun, Aug 2005 [email protected] Piloting 0 April 3rd 05 08:48 PM
Newbie Qs on stalls and spins Ramapriya Piloting 72 November 23rd 04 04:05 AM
Flying through the DC ADIZ G.R. Patterson III Piloting 6 November 22nd 04 08:03 PM