IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 11th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Matt Whiting wrote:

Does the last computer to handle your IFR flight simply can it after
some time period has expired?

It's the last computer. What else would that computer do? That
computer prints out an arrival strip for me when you are 30 minutes from
my boundary. That's it as far as the computer is concerned. If you're
in a jet you are about 300 miles away and the computer has washed its
hands of you.

I'm just curious what event removes the
last trace of my IFR flight from the ATC computers.

There is no event. It spits out the last strip and when the system
stops receiving your transponder code you must have landed.
Old December 11th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

Ummm, situational awareness comes to mind???? A pilot bumbling around a
busy airport and not seeing the airport sure sounds like an emergency
situation developing to me.

We're not talking about busy airports. Busy airports have Class B or C
airspace. Since we're talking about flight following we're limited to
airports in Class D, E, and G airspace.

Surely you can't see a bumbling pilot poking along through a pattern of
an airport not causing problems or an emergency situation that may
directly affect the safety of flight. Big sky theory will fail.

Note, it may not even be the bumbling pilot, but another pilot that has
to take evasive action due to the lack of situational awareness from the
lost pilot. Yep, a developing emergency.

Sure can. That's why the pilot should be on tower frequency or CTAF
when he gets close to the field, not on flight following.

obviously you are playing some type of semantic game as I really have no
clue what you are trying to say above.....

I'm trying to say a good controller won't advise aircraft on flight
following to report the field in sight.

My take for what it's worth, if a pilot does not see an airport within a
couple of miles FROM THE AIRPORT, then you have a potential emergency
situation developing. Loss of situational awareness surely can be
considered an emergency. As stated in an earlier post, this is not
normal that I have seen in my short 5 years of flying.

Nonsense. Not seeing the airport doesn't mean you're lost, it just
means you haven't sighted the airport yet.

If you are trying to say that the pilot doesn't see an airport from lets
say 15 miles vs 13 miles out from the airport, then yeah, that isn't a
problem.

I'm trying to say there's no reason for a controller to advise aircraft
on flight following to report the field in sight. Such a report has no
purpose. When you get close to the field, say ten miles or so, you
should be talking to the tower or on CTAF, not on flight following.

Old December 11th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

You were landing at a controlled airport which I can fully understand (I.E
me reporting visual of AC in front of me and getting the instructions,
Sundowner 1943L, maintain seperation, cleared for the visual approach).

I have never received that instruction at an UNcontrolled airport. Like I
said in my prior post, I am not saying it can't be done, it's just that I
have never been cleared for the visual without the traffic in front of me
cancelling their IFR at an UNcontrolled airport.

Odd, I seem to recall you saying in a prior post that it couldn't be
done.

Old December 11th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ups.com:

A Lieberma wrote:

You were landing at a controlled airport which I can fully understand
(I.E me reporting visual of AC in front of me and getting the
instructions, Sundowner 1943L, maintain seperation, cleared for the
visual approach).

I have never received that instruction at an UNcontrolled airport.
Like I said in my prior post, I am not saying it can't be done, it's
just that I have never been cleared for the visual without the
traffic in front of me cancelling their IFR at an UNcontrolled
airport.

Odd, I seem to recall you saying in a prior post that it couldn't be
done.

Lets go this route and put the ball in your court :-)

Can you show me a reference that you can clear an IFR plane into an
UNCONTROLLED airport without receiving a cancellation from the IFR traffic
in front?

Allen
Old December 11th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ups.com:

A Lieberma wrote:

Ummm, situational awareness comes to mind???? A pilot bumbling around

busy airport and not seeing the airport sure sounds like an emergency
situation developing to me.

We're not talking about busy airports. Busy airports have Class B or C
airspace. Since we're talking about flight following we're limited to
airports in Class D, E, and G airspace.

Plenty of busy UNcontrolled and D class airports underlay the shelfs of B
and C....

Nonsense. Not seeing the airport doesn't mean you're lost, it just
means you haven't sighted the airport yet.

From my point of view, if you have not sighted the airport from a few
miles out (my definition of a few is 2 to 3 miles), either you are in
conditions that you shouldn't be in (below VFR) or you are situationally
lost. As you know, in a typical C172 speed, that is only 1 to 1 1/2
minutes to the airport, far too short to be properly entering a pattern
(especially if the airport has non standard patterns, such as right
turns).

I'm trying to say there's no reason for a controller to advise aircraft
on flight following to report the field in sight. Such a report has no
purpose. When you get close to the field, say ten miles or so, you
should be talking to the tower or on CTAF, not on flight following.

Now, we are getting somewhere, and yes, I do agree with you.

Unfortunately, when KJAN is busy, releasing me 10 miles out from KMBO in
Charlie airpsace when traffic is using 16L is not exactly a good idea. I
have been held on frequency by approach up to 5 miles to the airport when
approaching KMBO from the east or north east. Coming from the south, you
won't be released by approach until you are passed the final approach
courses for 16R and 16L.

Personally, knowing where my own airport is, I don't have any problems
being released early, but when I go to airports I am not familiar with,
then I'd rather have the controller hold on to me until I get a visual.
Airport advisories such as xxxx 8 miles 12 o'clock are always appreciated
even though I already may have this info on my GPS.

So, while you may not see the reason for a controller to ask a VFR
traffic to report airport in sight, doesn't mean it's a useless request.

Plus, it may be a confort factor to the controller knowing the pilot does
have the airport in sight before turning him over to CTAF (or tower).

Allen
Old December 11th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Roy Smith wrote:

There is an anti-flight plan floating around in a parallel universe. When
your wheels touch the ground the two universes come into contact and the
flight plan and the anti-flight plan annihilate each other.

And a photon is emitted (either that or the end of the universe occurs).
Old December 11th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...7/atc0702.html

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...7/atc0704.html

Old December 11th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

Plenty of busy UNcontrolled and D class airports underlay the shelfs of B
and C....

Can you name some of them?

From my point of view, if you have not sighted the airport from a few
miles out (my definition of a few is 2 to 3 miles), either you are in
conditions that you shouldn't be in (below VFR) or you are situationally
lost. As you know, in a typical C172 speed, that is only 1 to 1 1/2
minutes to the airport, far too short to be properly entering a pattern
(especially if the airport has non standard patterns, such as right
turns).

Sounds like your point of view is based on rather limited experience,
but let's get back on point. If you're two or three miles from the
airport should you be on flight following or should you be on CTAF or
tower frequency?

Now, we are getting somewhere, and yes, I do agree with you.

Finally.

Unfortunately, when KJAN is busy, releasing me 10 miles out from KMBO in
Charlie airpsace when traffic is using 16L is not exactly a good idea. I
have been held on frequency by approach up to 5 miles to the airport when
approaching KMBO from the east or north east. Coming from the south, you
won't be released by approach until you are passed the final approach
courses for 16R and 16L.

If you're in Charlie airspace you're not on flight following, you're
receiving Class C services. Even so, controllers are required to
terminate Class C services to aircraft landing at secondary airports at
a point that will allow them to obtain airport and traffic information.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...708.html#7-8-8

Personally, knowing where my own airport is, I don't have any problems
being released early, but when I go to airports I am not familiar with,
then I'd rather have the controller hold on to me until I get a visual.
Airport advisories such as xxxx 8 miles 12 o'clock are always appreciated
even though I already may have this info on my GPS.

Is that because you lack confidence in your GPS?

So, while you may not see the reason for a controller to ask a VFR
traffic to report airport in sight, doesn't mean it's a useless request.

No, but if there was a reason for a controller to ask a VFR aircraft on
flight following to report the field in sight I would see it. It's a
useless request because it has no useful purpose.

Plus, it may be a confort factor to the controller knowing the pilot does
have the airport in sight before turning him over to CTAF (or tower).

How might that affect the controller's comfort?

Old December 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

A Lieberma wrote:

Ummm lost pilot doesn't bode well for traffic????? Be realistic, clear
day, VMC and the pilot doesn't see the airport within a couple of miles?

Sounds like a problem, not the norm.

Ever approach an airport with no beacon at night, from the side, not
looking directly down the runway?

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM