Gasohol

Old June 5th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Gasohol

What is the color of the unreacted reagent? Water clear? I'll as the chair
of the chem department what it is and maybe buy a gallon or two and sell it
by the vial for only a thousand percent markup {;-)

I'm in training to run a pharmaceutical company

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't
"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
. ..
Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would turn
purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test the
fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a bunch of
the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old June 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Darrel Toepfer

"Tri-Pacer" wrote:

Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would
turn purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test
the fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a
bunch of the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Less than $3 a tube...

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=163

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=23640151

https://pe.cenex.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=468

http://www.icrc.org/emergency-
items/Volume1/07TRA/315TVECFUELWDTC/315TVECFUELWDTC.htm

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?...product_id=162
Old June 5th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Darrel Toepfer

Less than $3 a tube...

Don't tell Jim, he'll try to corner the market like the Hunt Bros...

See if you'd held onto that silver for 25 years, you'd have something,
besides silver...
Old June 5th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:48:32 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

What is the color of the unreacted reagent? Water clear? I'll as the chair
of the chem department what it is and maybe buy a gallon or two and sell it
by the vial for only a thousand percent markup {;-)

I'm in training to run a pharmaceutical company

Google "Aquatec test strips"

Don

Old June 5th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Aqua (as in "water") Aquatec test strips check for WATER, not alcohol.
Google Alcohol Test Strip and you get a million hits on how to test for
booze on the breath, but not a word about gasahol. Google Gasahol Test
Strip and you come up with nothing usable.

Jim--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't

"Don Tuite" wrote in message

Google "Aquatec test strips"

Don

Old June 5th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message . 18...
"Tri-Pacer" wrote:

Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would
turn purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test
the fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a
bunch of the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Less than $3 a tube...

find water stuff snipped

Not looking for water, we're looking for alcohol...

Old June 5th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Denny" wrote in message ps.com...
Well, lemmee give ya a very simple example of cahoots...

First picture the double bottom fuel tanker... He goes to the terminal
and loads premium gas for Chevron in the front tanker and premium gas
for Shell in the back tanker... The computer adds the dyes,
carcinogenic additives, and alcohol, and off he goes... Each company
runs advertising on how its premium is better than anyone elses
premium because of the companies expertise and care in every step of
the production process - and how they search the world for the best
crude - and oh yes, they are GREEN to boot...

Your gas actually comes from the same generic tank fed off a generic
pipeline from a generic refinery, that every branded and unbranded
gas station in the area buys from, each putting their own name on
it...
The FTC is happy with this...
The Atty General of the Hew Hess of Hey is happy with this...
The states Atty General's are happy with this...

Now picture Chivas Regal and Jack Daniels - and it comes to light
Woodward and Bernstein strike again that they are not actually
fermenting and distilling their own booze but are buying white
lightning from an industrial alcohol distillery in Trinidad and
Tobaggo same one that supplies it for gasohol and shipping it here
in converted petroleum tankers, whereupon they each runit through
charcoal, add coloring and flavoring, and each bottle it under their
own label...
The FTC and the combined Atty Generals will be good with that?
No way, mon! There will be executives in hand cuffs testifying in
front of Congress...
But if it is big oil? - well golly gee it's just a business decision
wink, wink, nudge...

denny - who is old enough to see the wool over his eyes

Hit my thought right on the head! This crap is absolutely amazing. Hard to believe that there is any way this stuff is
called 'gasoline.' Interesting what definitions pop up when you do a web search for 'gasoline definition'. I see the
hydrocarbon bit by most, but there are now 'states' changing the definition to include the gasohol definition also...

sheeze.....

Old June 5th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Darrel Toepfer

"Blueskies" wrote:

Not looking for water, we're looking for alcohol...

Mybad, sorry... Sorry 'bout that...

Follow Jay, he's kneaux's where all the "water"ing holes are... ;-)

Old June 5th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"SS2MO" wrote in message oups.com...
On May 30, 7:13 pm, "Blueskies" wrote:
Is it true that there is no longer any requirement to label gasoline contaminated with alcohol?

Good article hehttp://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Gasoline.html

I just did the add water to gas test on a couple of local gas sources and all contain alcohol, and none of the pumps
said anything about it. The feds just dropped the requirement to label the pumps and we all missed it?

Jay, where do you fill the grape from and how do you know there is no evil alcohol in it?

When MTBE was outlawed, the only feasable alternative to add oxygen to
gasoline was alcohol. This is mandated in ceartin parts of the
country - mostly the east and west coasts plus mant of the major
cities. Many states have followed suit and now require 5 or 10%
alcohol to be add to auto gas. Some states require that the retail
pumps lable that the gasoline contains alcohol - some states do not.
Currently retailers can save money by adding alcohol to the gasoline
because the alcohol is less expensive than gasoline, so they can blen
it in and sell it to you as auto gasoline - you may not know it. Any
percentage of alcohol in the gasoline will void your auto gas STC.
There are many pushing for a national requirement for alcohol to be
added to auto gas.

Old news...

Current news, the feds passed the law in 2005 that all auto fuel will contain alcohol.

Non alcohol auto gas will be available for FBO's to purchase and sell
as auto gas for aviation, but anyone buying auto gas at a retial
outlet and taking it to the airport in 5 gallon containers will need
to check it for alcohol. EAA has a method on line to tell you how to
check it. I recently did a presentation on auto gas with alcoho for
an aviation group, added 10% alcohol to pure 87 octane auto gas - then
some samples I added water - then lowered the temps on all samples to
below freezing.

First thing was that the alcohol would not stay mixed with the auto
gas - it would seperate out. Second thing is that alcohol absorbs
water - so you could not see the water in the alcohol/auto gas
mixture, but when the temp was lowered to below freezing the water
froze and ice settled out to the bottom.

Is the so called cold weather auto fuel minus alcohol? I don't think so...

All said - I will not be using auto gas in my plane - it looked like
an easy way to have a line freeze and turn the plane into a glider.

Just gotta be sure there is no alky in there...

Old June 5th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

t...

"Tri-Pacer" wrote:

Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would
turn purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test
the fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a
bunch of the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Less than $3 a tube...

find water stuff snipped

Not looking for water, we're looking for alcohol...

Actually many of us are curious about each, and some of use would be
interested to know both.

Peter

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
Gasohol Blueskies Owning 233 June 30th 07 03:50 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 11:39 AM