An Airbus Tanker?

Old March 7th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chatnoir

Default An Airbus Tanker?

On Mar 1, 6:46*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080301/...p_eads_air_for...

Whooo-weee. *The political feathers are gonna fly on *this* one.

Now we're outsourcing the military, too? --
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I think it is best that it is made in Europe!:

Dad Who Burned Kids in Dryer: Thought They Could Have a Good Time
Without Money
Thursday, March 06, 2008
E-MailPrint
Sha DiggFacebookStumbleUpon
HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- A Hutchinson man is on trial this week on
charges
he put his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son in a
hot clothes dryer.
In a videotaped interview with detectives shown in court Wednesday,
Aron Pritchard said he put the children in the dryer to show them
they
could have a good time without much money. An hour later, the dryer
had become hot and the boy had second-degree burns.
Pritchard told the detective that he didn't mean for the boy to get
hurt.
Jurors also heard from a pediatrician who testified that the burns,
combined with prior injuries including a twice-broken clavicle, could
indicate an abusive environment.
Pritchard is charged with aggravated child endangerment and child
abuse in the Nov. 28, 2006, incident.

Old March 7th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Oh, and in case you didn't hear: The president will be choppered around
in a European design Marine One shortly, too.

Yep, just goes to show that even foreign contractors cannot produce on
time and on price.
Of course, it the US government would issue a contract and stick to the
terms of the the contract instead of changing the terms immediately,
things probably could be produced on time and on budget by the
contractor.

rotfl
Old March 8th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Blueskies" wrote in message

Of course, it the US government would issue a contract and stick to
the terms of the the contract instead of changing the terms
immediately, things probably could be produced on time and on budget
by the contractor.

rotfl

If only it weren't true so it could be funny... :-/

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old March 8th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"John T" wrote in message . ..
"Blueskies" wrote in message

Of course, it the US government would issue a contract and stick to
the terms of the the contract instead of changing the terms
immediately, things probably could be produced on time and on budget
by the contractor.

rotfl

If only it weren't true so it could be funny... :-/

Exactly, it was more of a hysterical laugh, not a funny laugh

Old March 23rd 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military,alt.usenet.kooks
David Lesher

Ed Rasimus writes:

OTOH, many/most of those jobs are likely to be merely transferred from McBoeing
to NorGrumLockMart. Where else are they going to find experienced, current
airplane builders?

The news reports I've seen on the issue use the phrase "25,000 NEW
jobs" which heavily implies that there isn't a counter-balance of
25,000 old jobs lost. Since Boeing isn't short of assembly work on
backlog orders for 7-3/5/6/7-7 airframes and with a raft of orders on
the spindle for 787 it seems reasonable.

I thought the whole reason Boeing tried to foist the Avis RentaTanker
scheme on the taxpayers was that the 767 line was otherwise going
to shut down. Has that changed or?

And sure, they're NEW jobs... for that congressional district.

As for how many will *want* to move... damn few, I bet.

Don't take this as my opposing the deal; ISTM it's a far better fit.
And I still think they should just convert more DC-10's into tankers;
there have to be lots parked in the desert...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 23rd 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Hawkeye[_2_]

Lower cost of living in Alabama? Well that will change in the short
term once the production commences. Don't be surprised if you don't
start see an influx of Eastern Europeans entering the workforce in
Alabama. The paper industry here had to source abroad several years
ago to find good well educated labor...unemployment was low and they
couldn't get them domestically.

What a culture shock Alabama is about to experience! Will the "Good
'Ole Boys" survive? Southern Fried Borsch down at the local Diner?

Old March 24th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military,alt.usenet.kooks
Curt

Don't take this as my opposing the deal; ISTM it's a far better fit.
And I still think they should just convert more DC-10's into tankers;
there have to be lots parked in the desert...

That's been looked at several times. One problem is there are many
different configurations and the cost to standardize was considered
prohibitive. Even finding the equipment, avionics, etc, to standardize
would be difficult for a useful sized fleet. Most have only wing tanks with
no fuselage tanks. And DC-10s have maintained their value so they aren't
necessarily that cheap. Shame. FedEx didn't help when they started buying
up used DC-10s to convert to freighters. I don't know why they don't buy a
few as "bounce" trainers as they did with 707s C-18s.
--
Curt
KVPS

Old March 24th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Hawkeye" wrote:

Lower cost of living in Alabama? Well that will change in the short
term once the production commences. Don't be surprised if you don't
start see an influx of Eastern Europeans entering the workforce in
Alabama. The paper industry here had to source abroad several years
ago to find good well educated labor...unemployment was low and they
couldn't get them domestically.

What a culture shock Alabama is about to experience! Will the "Good
'Ole Boys" survive? Southern Fried Borsch down at the local Diner?

We're already used to the Krauts. Degussa Chemical has been here a long time.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old March 25th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
§

On Mar 23, 9:17*pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Hawkeye" wrote:
Lower cost of living in Alabama? Well that will change in the short
term once the production commences. Don't be surprised if you don't
start see an influx of Eastern Europeans entering the workforce in
Alabama. The paper industry here had to source abroad several years
ago to find good well educated labor...unemployment was low and they
couldn't get them domestically.

What a culture shock Alabama is about to experience! Will the "Good
'Ole Boys" survive? Southern Fried Borsch down at the local Diner?

We're already used to the Krauts. *Degussa Chemical has been here a long time.

--
Dan
T-182T *at BFM

Krauts will the the least of their worries in ALabama. Hell the
Hyundai auto plant has been having a hell of a time with decent
production and workmanship on a dam import tyupe car for godsakes,
whats its gonna be like on a aircraft.Alabama abounds with rednecks
and "others" that really have no business working on aircraft, and
odds are with equal rights and employment criteria, a bunch of idiots
will be hired on just to fill the bill of goods and meeet the
government requirements.
Old March 25th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Daryl Hunt[_2_]

"Hawkeye" wrote:
[...]

It's called "Lowest Bidder".