Google Earth for in flight Planning?

Old August 11th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

Default Google Earth for in flight Planning?

I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

Old August 11th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Aug 11, 7:15*pm, terry wrote:
I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. *The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. * And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

Just to correct the heading , that was meant to be "for flight
planning", not "for in flight planning " just in case you thought I
was staring at google screens in flight
Terry
Old August 11th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

I particularly like it for visualizing how the 45 and the downwind leg
will work out in practice, or even entering on the base leg.

Sometimes when I see something that puzzles me during a flight, I can
"re-fly" the afternoon on Google Earth and zoom in on the mystery
house/whatever.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old August 11th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 11, 3:15*am, terry wrote:
I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. *The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. * And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

check out http://runwayfinder.com

you can switch between sectional chart view and google map view very
easily.
Old August 11th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Aug 12, 6:45*am, buttman wrote:
On Aug 11, 3:15*am, terry wrote:

I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. *The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. * And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

check outhttp://runwayfinder.com

you can switch between sectional chart view and google map view very
easily.

Thats great, unfortunately its only for the US but I guess its just a
matter of time before we have it downunder.
Terry
Old August 12th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gerry Caron

"terry" wrote in message
I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

It's also useful for analyzing your flights. If you have a portable GPS
that logs your flights, go to http://www.goflying.org/ There you can
upload your log and do a mashup that lets you view it in Google Earth. You
can also view other's flights (if they've made them public.)

Gerry

Old August 13th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
steve[_1_]

One of my IFR instructors said another student prints out google earth
images of the route he is going to fly, to particularly look for landmarks
in unfamiliar routes and emergency landing site possibilities.

I personally haven't used it.

Old August 13th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 13, 2:22 am, "steve" wrote:
One of my IFR instructors said another student prints out google earth
images of the route he is going to fly, to particularly look for landmarks
in unfamiliar routes and emergency landing site possibilities.

I personally haven't used it."terry" wrote in message

I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

Sectional charts are a lot more useful for pilotage than google earth
images. Those charts show things more easily visible to the pilot, and
offer an overlay of information that is directly useful for flying.
Google Earth for aviation navigation is a solution looking for a
problem.
Old August 13th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Aug 13, 10:29*pm, wrote:
On Aug 13, 2:22 am, "steve" wrote:

[...]

problem.- Hide quoted text -

I think you misread the post. I use the google earth image to
familiarise myself with the route and the look of the destination
airfield in particular before the flight, not as a substitute for a
navigation chart. I also use it to check runway orientation which
is information not always readily available on unlicensed airstrips in
Australia.

Terry

Old August 13th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 13, 8:41 am, terry wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:29 pm, wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:22 am, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, Terry, I erred in assuming you you dealing with USA airspaces.
I know nothing about documentation available in AU -- wish I had a
realistic need to know!