Garmin/Apollo LS 30 NavCom comments?

Old August 27th 05, 04:47 AM
Mike Noel

Default Garmin/Apollo LS 30 NavCom comments?

I'm planning on having my avionics tech install the LS 30 along with a GI
106A CDI as my number one NavCom. All of my buddies were suggesting the
KNX-155 but the Garmin looks like a much more functional and high tech unit.
Does anyone have any comments on the LS 30 GI 106A combination?

Old August 27th 05, 05:30 AM
Blanche

Mike Noel wrote:
I'm planning on having my avionics tech install the LS 30 along with a GI
106A CDI as my number one NavCom. All of my buddies were suggesting the
KNX-155 but the Garmin looks like a much more functional and high tech unit.
Does anyone have any comments on the LS 30 GI 106A combination?

Typos abound here...you did mean the SL30, right?

I had one installed 3 years ago and love it. For IFR training it
can't be beat, since there's the To/From button. I really like the
"monitor" button where I can tune/talk on one freq and listen to
another. It's small, sound quality is good (dependent on the
headset/speakers), easy to remove for repair (if needed) because it
comes out the front (which means you can remove and re-install once
the tray and connections have been installed by the avionics shop).

Plus, because it's a "slim line" model, it frees up space in your
stack, just in case you think of something to put there later on.

By removing the two dead Narco's and installing the SL30 with a
TKM (slide in replacement for the narco), I now have this excellent
empty space that is the exact size needed for Garmin 4xx (probably
the GPS400 since I don't need the VOR or COM option).

Old August 27th 05, 03:10 PM
Steven Barnes

Hmm. We may have our 2nd KI214 nav head (w/glide slope) going bad. If so,
I'd like to get a newer radio & head (w/glide slope). We've got a KX-155
with a VOR/LOC only on the top.

I'm interested to hear some of the costs involved (unit, cdi, installation,
etc).

Old August 27th 05, 04:47 PM
Blanche

When I bought the cherokee it had 2 NAV/COMs (both old Narco). Radio
worked on both, no NAV. Both nav heads were dead, too. And an A/B
switch. In 1992 I had the entire center stack removed and installed

1) PSEngineering 6000 (shoulda gotten the one with the markers, but
didn't) ($700)
2) UPSAT SL30
3) Overhauled TKM MK-12 slide-in replacement for the Narco

The NAV/ILS head was replaced with a TKM LED indicator ($600 IIRC) and
is tied to the SL30. No more mechanical stuff. Downside is it's
not really that easy to see in bright daylight.
I didn't replace the 2nd nav head. I'm not IFR yet but learning.
I'd rather have that hole used for fuel flow and engine analyzer.
That's the next purchase. I think that will be more practical
at this point than the GPS. But I need a job first.

Unfortunately the airplane is at the shop for annual along with all
the books so I can't provide the actual cost. But it's now 3 years later
and altho labor costs have gone up, equipment prices are down.

The big cost was the wiring. I needed harness for the SL30 and all
the wiring re-done to get rid of the A/B switch (the *original*
equipment from 1968 when the cherokee was built!) for the PS6000. I have
working ADF/DME that was also tied into the PS6000. And a jack into
the PS6000 for music input. When I fly solo, I don't listen to tunes.
Safety issue, to me.

To get a panel GPS requires an annunciator. But since the PS6000 is
installed properly, it will be reasonably straight-forward if & when
I get the GPS. The hard work has been done.

Old August 27th 05, 06:27 PM
Yankee Bravo

I'm planning on having my avionics tech install the LS 30 along with a GI
106A CDI as my number one NavCom. All of my buddies were suggesting the
KNX-155 but the Garmin looks like a much more functional and high tech

unit.
Does anyone have any comments on the LS 30 GI 106A combination?

If you're talking about the SL30, that's a great little radio. I'd pick it
over a KX-155 any day. If you're replacing antennas and coax also, get a
broadband antenna from Comant that handles both VOR/LOC and Glideslope.
Works great and will simplify the installation because there is only one
receiver input on the back for VOR/LOC/GS all together. The GI 106A works
fine too.

Old August 27th 05, 08:29 PM
Blanche

Blanche wrote:
When I bought the cherokee it had 2 NAV/COMs (both old Narco). Radio
worked on both, no NAV. Both nav heads were dead, too. And an A/B
switch. In 1992 I had the entire center stack removed and installed

urp....i get attacked by typos too..

that should be 2002, not 1992.

*sigh*

Old August 27th 05, 10:24 PM
Mike Noel

Yes, I meant the SL30 and the KX-155. In this case the installed cost less
tax and including a new marker beacon annunciator was quoted at $5600.