Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Send the FBO a card with a message saying that sometimes things dont
work out the way they were intended and sorry to offend and no offense
taken. If the guy wont be ok with that, then there isnt anything else
you can do.

Old November 9th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"JH" == Jay Honeck writes:

JH He laughed and said that he "Had to fill the tank more often
JH than that!", to which I laughingly replied "Yeah, the only
JH time the tanks don't get filled at our place is when hotel
JH owners use our van -- those guys are the cheapest SOBs
JH around!"

I changed two words in the "quote" above. How does it feel?

Others have already said it better than I. I'll just add that it
sounds like the guy is both a charter pilot and runs a business of
charter pilots, and you accidently insulted his entire professional
life. What to you was an overreaction to him might have been
considerable restraint.
--
A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying
anything real on real issues.
Old November 9th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Bob Fry" wrote in message

Others have already said it better than I. I'll just add that it
sounds like the guy is both a charter pilot and runs a business of
charter pilots, and you accidently insulted his entire professional
life. What to you was an overreaction to him might have been
considerable restraint.

I wonder if he turned down a charter because he had a 'customer' who had
called ahead to make sure there was a courtesy car available?

Did the 'customer' buy anything, or was he just 'borrowing the car'?

Old November 9th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Bob Fry wrote:
I changed two words in the "quote" above. How does it feel?

Others have already said it better than I. I'll just add that it
sounds like the guy is both a charter pilot and runs a business of
charter pilots, and you accidently insulted his entire professional
life. What to you was an overreaction to him might have been
considerable restraint.

How politically correct of you to say so.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old November 9th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Jay Honeck wrote:

We'll never know -- and we'll never be back. It's a shame -- with all
the problems facing GA, small-town airports simply can't afford to have
FBOs driving off what little business they have (we were the only plane
there) -- but for us there are literally hundreds of other airports to
visit, so it won't matter much.

Exactly what "business" did he drive off? Did you buy any avgas?
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old November 9th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
True, my comments were inappropriate given his position, and I regret
them. However, aside from the obvious fact that you never, EVER speak
with a customer the way he did, it is common knowledge that (a) most
charter pilots NEVER fill the courtesy car, and (b) we all know they
don't make diddly squat for salary -- which is why those of us who
provide courtesy cars turn the other cheek and continue to let them
borrow our cars.

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

Yeah, I didn't think you'd actually get the point.

Last clue: "common knowledge" often has no bearing whatsoever on the truth,
and in your case is being used simply as an excuse to stereotype. Even if
in your experience, things are as you state (and frankly, even knowing who
is and who is not a charter pilot is not always easy to tell, and as far as
salaries go, unless you're asking everyone for financials as they come
through, you have NO way to know that), that does not justify painting all
charter pilots with the same brush.

I admit that the question of charter pilot behavior is not so socially
important as the question of race relations, but your way of thinking about
the former is exactly the same sort of thinking that causes problems in the
latter. The consequences of your prejudiced thinking may not be as serious,
but it's exactly the same mindset. It's not appropriate in any context.

Pete

Old November 9th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Decades ago, in my younger days (okay, waaaay younger), I was asked to
leave a drinking establishment or two, and I've had a few women show me
the door, over time...but I never thought I'd ever be asked to leave an
FBO.

To our amazement, it happened to Mary and me today.

Well, he was just a crude redneck, you're lucky he didn't carry!

You were sarcastic, crass, and just like flying IFR, don't have a clue about
"charter pilots."

Karl
Ex chief pilot Part 135, 16 years. And yes, we always bought fuel for the
crew car. We also bought 550,000 gallons of jet fuel just on the road. We
also ALWAYS bought jet fuel at every stop whether we needed it or not
(courtesy fuel)

Old November 9th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 23:12:29 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote in :

Offer your sincerest apology for what you
hopefully realize was a thoughtless and crass remark

But it was true.
Old November 9th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Jay Honeck wrote:
"in his small town,"

Well then you were thrown out of more than an FBO.

I think you can brag about it now. : )

(Ha, I just had a funny thought. FBO could stand for something else.
Remember Austin Powers Scottish nemisis..... F B's Operation.)

Old November 9th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Our day ruined, it was a quiet flight home, as we pondered what could
make a guy snap like that over such inconsequential banter. The only
thing we could think of us was that he was having a very, very bad day
-- perhaps something had gone wrong with one of his charter pilots, or
a charter job had fallen through? -- and our jokes tipped him over the
edge.

Your comments may have been too close to reality; or similar rumors
might have had a direct and negative effect on his business or
reputation in the past (in contexts where it was not clear that they
were jokes or mere rumors). Still, it seems like an extreme reaction.
Often people who react in this way to one thing will react in the same
way to many others; it's more of a personality characteristic than a
unique behavior linked to a specific, one-of-a-kind trigger.