Did my aptitude tests and exams the other day.

Old October 21st 04, 10:39 PM
Simon Robbins

Default Did my aptitude tests and exams the other day.

I did my aptitude tests and exams at my local flying college the other day,
a pre-requisite along with an interview before they allow you to join any of
their courses. Scored 85% in maths, 77% in physics (I'd long forgotten some
of the theorems and equations that would've been helpful) and I got really
good marks in the computer-based aptitude tests; steadying a constantly
moving cross-hair, audio/visual multi-tasking, etc. (Guess PC flight sims
*are* good for something!) It really gave me a confidence boost and after a
long chat with one of the heli instructors a renewed eagerness to get the
pieces in place to begin training. Next step is the medical and then it's
prepare to put the house on the market!!

Si

Old October 22nd 04, 11:31 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

I've been having a blast learning to fly these airborne eggbeaters.
Not fun paying for it, but I wouldn't trade it for a thing..

These questions have probably come up but let me be nosey and ask.

Where do you see yourself in a year from now, still with the day job or
in the aviation field.

What sort of work are you doing now. I know your married with kids but
does honey bunch work out of the home or is she a stay at home mom.

Just call me snoopy.
Old October 23rd 04, 12:00 AM
Steve R.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in
message ...
I've been told in no uncertain terms by my flight instructor to NOT
mess with the PC flight sims because they're screwing up my actual
flying. Not sure how accurate that is, but considering the hurdles
I've been having to overcome as I train, there might be some merit to
it.

I've been having a blast learning to fly these airborne eggbeaters.
Not fun paying for it, but I wouldn't trade it for a thing..

Good luck!

I think I can understand where your instructor is coming from. From an RC
point of view, I think the sims are real good at helping develop certain
reflexes but I find that most of them let you get away with stuff that you'd
never get away with in the real world. Generally, they're "way" more
forgiving than the real model will be.

From the full size point of view, I can imagine that not having the "seat of
the pants" feed back, as well as a relatively skewed visual frame of
reference could goof you up a little when you get inside the actual
aircraft. It might work for some folks. I can't see it doing me any good.

BTW, I forgot to respond on your latest adventure, Kevin. Congrats on your
recent solo!!

Way to go, Han! :-D

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old October 24th 04, 02:25 PM
Simon Robbins

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in
message ...
I've been told in no uncertain terms by my flight instructor to NOT
mess with the PC flight sims because they're screwing up my actual
flying. Not sure how accurate that is, but considering the hurdles
I've been having to overcome as I train, there might be some merit to
it.

I've heard that too, but when I was learning fixed-wing my instructor
congratulated me on my immediate natural "feel" for it and a very good
working knowledge of the instrumentation, all thanks to MS-FS. Of course
it's nothing like the real thing but I found it excellent for procedural
practice.

Oh, and my aptitude tests were good enough to get me an offer of a sponsored
instructor course and a job at the end of it!

Si

Old October 27th 04, 06:32 PM
Simon Robbins

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in
message ...
Oh, and my aptitude tests were good enough to get me an offer of a

sponsored
instructor course and a job at the end of it!

Nice! Where can I take those tests to help alleviate some of my
costs?? ehehe

The test I did was called PilApt. I'm not sure whether it's available to
anyone other than registered operators and training schools. As for the
exams, I think they were CAA drafted exams aimed at advanced high-school
level. (So, should have been easy for me, but I'd forgotten much of the
energy theory I'd learn decades before..)

Si

Instrument Exams Jeb Piloting 8 February 2nd 04 08:01 AM
Commercial/CFI Written Knowledge Exams Eric Kobb Piloting 4 October 27th 03 11:23 AM