Old Planes...Where Are They Now

Old June 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Old Planes...Where Are They Now

The US had more than a thousand F-4s, along with scads more
A-4, F-101s and so on. Obviously some went to museums. But
where are the rest? And if they are sitting in a desert somewhere,
what's their condition.

Basically, could someone with a lot of money build themselves
an old airforce out of what's available, or has everything been
scrapped?

Old June 22nd 04, 05:27 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
The US had more than a thousand F-4s, along with scads more
A-4, F-101s and so on. Obviously some went to museums. But
where are the rest? And if they are sitting in a desert somewhere,
what's their condition.

The F-101's were scrapped or sent to museums long ago. Some of the A-4's
recently (within the last three or four years) were sold off to the
Brazilians, IIRC, after some rebuild and modification work. I'd guess a fair
number of F-4's are still at AMARC, but a fair number have ended up as
QF-4's, getting shot at by various fighters and air defense systems. As did
a fair number of the F-102's before them (and some F-106's IIRC?).

Basically, could someone with a lot of money build themselves
an old airforce out of what's available, or has everything been
scrapped?

AMARC reutilizes what it can; they generate spares for aircraft still in
service, and sometimes they regenerate the aircraft themselves for either
domestic or foreign service. There are some law enforcement organizations
that fly aircraft that went through AMARC; I believe the remaining C-130's
flying in civilian hands in the firefighting role are also AMARC veterans.
The USAF is, from what I have read, putting a few of the B-1B's that were
sent into storage a year or two ago back into service. When their utility is
at an end, AMARC disposes of the remains to the scrapdealers.

Brooks

Old June 22nd 04, 05:40 AM
Ron

The F-101's were scrapped or sent to museums long ago. Some of the A-4's
recently (within the last three or four years) were sold off to the
Brazilians, IIRC, after some rebuild and modification work. I'd guess a fair
number of F-4's are still at AMARC, but a fair number have ended up as
QF-4's, getting shot at by various fighters and air defense systems. As did
a fair number of the F-102's before them (and some F-106's IIRC?).

The F-4s that were in the best condition (last to be retired) were the first
ones to be used as drones. They are about out of F-4Gs I think, and are
probably onto the Es now.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

Old June 22nd 04, 09:30 AM
Neil Gerace

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

AMARC reutilizes what it can; they generate spares for aircraft still in
service, and sometimes they regenerate the aircraft themselves for either
domestic or foreign service.

Yes. Several sets of F-111 wings and other structural parts have been sold
to the RAAF under the F-111 Sole Operator Program for some ridiculously low
price, but are kept in the warm dry air of AMARC until we need them. They
may be getting our TAP-3s to look after too, as they have been withdrawn
from service.

Old June 22nd 04, 01:22 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Charles Talleyrand
wrote:

Basically, could someone with a lot of money build themselves
an old airforce out of what's available, or has everything been
scrapped?

The airframes of combat aircraft that are sent to storage are
"de-mil'ed" prior to being allowed into civilian hands. It is
getting more and more rare for former combat planes to be released
given that people have tried to put them back into active flying
condition. Non-combat aircraft are still regularly sold to the
public. Common uses are as cargo transport and firefighting.

Some folks have built flying fighter jets from spare parts.
In these cases, they did not use US military airframes. Rather,
they either got a hold of spare parts, tooling spares from the
manufacture that were to be scrapped, or parts from jets sold
to foriegn countries. The most famous of these is the F-104
that set the low level speed record that was built by Darryl
Greenamyer.

The problem with allowing combat aircraft into private hands
began when an unqualified pilot attempted to fly a privately
owned F-86 Saber Jet out of the Fresno airport. He botched
the take-off, and crashed into an ice cream stand killing
a number of children who were standing in line for ice cream
on a hot California afternoon. Not good. Not good at all.
While one should question why an ice cream stand was built
at the end of a shared military/commercial runway, dead kids
does not make good publicity.

Even with all the now strict rules, funny stuff does still
happen. Case in point is the F-18 Hornet that showed up on
E-bay last year. It was a former Blue Angels aircraft that
had not been demiled. In fact, with some standard maintenance
work, it could have been put back into the air. I don't know
if the full story was ever revealed on how that airplane ended
up in private hands. The most likely speculation that I heard
is that someone had a airplane that the National Museum Of
Naval Aviation wanted badly enough, and they traded the Hornet
in near working condition to get their museum piece.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old June 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Ron" wrote in message
The F-101's were scrapped or sent to museums long ago. Some of the A-4's
recently (within the last three or four years) were sold off to the
Brazilians, IIRC, after some rebuild and modification work. I'd guess a

fair
number of F-4's are still at AMARC, but a fair number have ended up as
QF-4's, getting shot at by various fighters and air defense systems. As

did
a fair number of the F-102's before them (and some F-106's IIRC?).

The F-4s that were in the best condition (last to be retired) were the

first
ones to be used as drones. They are about out of F-4Gs I think, and are
probably onto the Es now.

Something I read recently pointed to a decline in QF-4 mods in the near
term; wouldn't be surprised to start seeing some QF-16's from the early
blocks (10 and 15) in the near future.

Brooks

Ron

Old June 22nd 04, 02:43 PM
Neil Gerace

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
The problem with allowing combat aircraft into private hands
began when an unqualified pilot attempted to fly a privately
owned F-86 Saber Jet out of the Fresno airport. He botched
the take-off, and crashed into an ice cream stand killing
a number of children who were standing in line for ice cream
on a hot California afternoon. Not good. Not good at all.

The fact that it was a fighter is IMO irrelevant, as you said the pilot
wasn't qualified to fly it.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:09 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:27:38 -0400, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
The US had more than a thousand F-4s, along with scads more
A-4, F-101s and so on. Obviously some went to museums. But
where are the rest? And if they are sitting in a desert somewhere,
what's their condition.

The F-101's were scrapped or sent to museums long ago. Some of the A-4's
recently (within the last three or four years) were sold off to the
Brazilians, IIRC, after some rebuild and modification work. I'd guess a fair
number of F-4's are still at AMARC, but a fair number have ended up as
QF-4's, getting shot at by various fighters and air defense systems. As did
a fair number of the F-102's before them (and some F-106's IIRC?).

The drone program was remarkable to watch while I was at Holloman.
During the four years I was doing Fighter Lead-In, I watched the
F-102, the F-100, the F-106 and the beginnings of the F-4 programs.
(My favorite was the F-100 which came with the call-sign
"Attila"....think about it.) They even had a few F-86s when I started.

The aircraft in Q configuration could be flown by a pilot on board,
remotely with a pilot on board safety observer, and full remote
(obviously the favored approach for target duty!) They were operated
remotely from a ground station as well as from a chase aircraft. The
ground operator was used for T/O and recovery and was in a mobile
console, mounted on a truck chassis and positioned on the centerline
of the runway to aid in approach and departure lineup.

When flown remotely, they aircraft had an emergency destruct package
which necessitated some minimum safe runway clearance procedures. If
there were any possibilty of damage to a Q on a target mission the
drone would be destroyed over the range, rather than attempting
recovery. Saw lots of old bits and pieces out on the White Sands
Missile Range around Mockingbird Gap when I used to go quail hunting
out there.

Got lots of chance to watch the operations from the tower or the
Supervisor of Flying truck.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"