Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Old December 1st 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Hello again everyone,

You all made my point, precisely. So just how many units of various models of FES equipped sailplanes do we need here in North America to reach critical mass, or, where a 'fleet' of aircraft is large enough to make it feasible to have a reserve of batteries on hand somewhere, anywhere? How difficult is it, for example, to have a large and wonderfully successful sport aviation components company the likes of 'Spruce and Specialty', or even our beloved 'Wings and Wheels', to stock a 'reasonable' number of serviceable batteries, either new or reconditioned? Appropriately enough, some of these same company already carry a line of batteries, with all manners of exotic chemicals, from lead acid, to Nicad, to gel, to lithium, to.....whatever the industry needs, and they possess the shipping expertise to deliver these dangerous goods 'overland' pretty much anywhere within a reasonable delay.

Now, please don’t think I am unsympathetic to the enormous efforts made by Luka in resolving these HUGE technological challenges. Quite au contraire mes amis, but before I pluck out anywhere between 120 000 and 200 000 American dineros on new glass, equipped with this marvellous new technology, I and many others need to see improvements in this area. And I wholeheartedly agree with Matt, this IS the future, however a dose of realism is required here. Please chime in here Lukas, yours is the voice that counts the most.

And to the other view expressed about relaxing transportation and handling regulations; as an airline pilot for our national carrier, that is the last thing I want to see happen. On any given flight, we are already carrying anywhere between 50 and 400 kg of lithium batteries IN THE CABIN as it is, depending on one's estimate. Our low cost division alone loads them by the trolley full as part of our on-board entertainment system, which on the narrow body jet is 20 kg or more just for this purpose, and from there it just escalates. Why just on the flight deck, with our jepessen airways and company manuals which are now fully iPad integrated, there is another 5 kg, if you count our personal smartphones and tablets.....anyway, you get my drift.. If anything, expect the regulations to get more complex and convoluted, not the other way around.

Thank you, it is a real pleasure.

John Hebert
Old December 1st 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

I thought the propellor hub problems were with the DG1000 &
Duo Turbo?
I wasn't aware the Antares 18T had this problem as their hub
design is different?
Dave Walsh

Old December 1st 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 2:15:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Walsh wrote:
I thought the propellor hub problems were with the DG1000 & Duo Turbo?
I wasn't aware the Antares 18T had this problem as their hub design is

No, DG1000 and 18T had same faulty hub (redesigned twice now).
Loose prop when hub breaks often causes havoc (went thru DG wing in ground run,
wing was almost totaled), bounced of fuselage in other instances).
Duo T is completely different (folding prop).
Old December 3rd 18, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 2:45:01 AM UTC-8, Luka Žnidaršič wrote:
Dne sreda, 28. november 2018 05.01.09 UTC+1 je oseba 2G napisala:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 12:22:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 2:26:46 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
Hi John:
I'm 5'7", so I can't help you on fit. But I found both the LAK17 and the Mini completely comfortable, and I think there was extra room beyond my personal dimensions. The 17 and the Mini essentially have the same fuselage, so if you've ever sat in a 17, you would probably find the Mini about the same fit.

As for batteries, I assume one could get support through US/Canadian distributor, but my guess is that any serious repairs would have to come from LZ in Slovenia.

As you probably know, LZ recalled all FES batteries for inspection and upgrade following the two battery fires. Here's what I wrote about that issue for Soaring:

In accordance with a Modification Bulletin
issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency
(EASA), the LAK factory has reinforced the
battery pack housing with flame retardant
fiberglass, installed an independent fire
warning system, and added a safety valve smoke
vent to the battery compartment cover.

The FES system has been with us for about
eight years now. During this time some 180
gliders have been fitted with the engine,
either as self-launch or sustainer. /There
have been no reported engine failures in
flight./ However, there have been two fires
involving the lithium polymer battery packs at
the heart of the FES system. One happened
during a landing in the UK and was
extinguished after the pilot exited the glider
safely. The pilot reported that one of the
battery packs had previously been dropped,
which could have damaged one or more of the
lithium cells. The other fire occurred in a
trailer where the batteries had been stored
with the units still connected, a big “no no“
according to FES maintenance manuals. While
the exact cause of the fires has not been
determined, any fire involving lithium
batteries can be extremely serious – these
units pack a lot of energy and must be handled
with respect.

Slovenian manufacturer of the FES system, has
recalled all the battery packs for disassembly
and inspection. LZ is checking for the
suspected presence of small metal shards, a
possible by-product of machine work on the
battery case cover. Since the individual
lithium cells are housed in plastic bags
rather than hard cases, if a shard were
present it would be possible for it to migrate
during battery usage and penetrate a lithium
cell, potentially causing a short and a
resulting fire. After each inspection is
complete, LZ re-installs all the lithium cells
in a solid matrix of silicon gel, which should
correct the problem.

Regards,

Matt Herron

3 fires. One in the US
UH

I went to the FES presentation in Reno this year. I was unimpressed in the resolution of the fires that have occurred (I am an electrical engineer), especially in not acknowledging the third fire. My advice is to wait until the root cause of these fires has been conclusively identified. Having a parachute (as one friend of mine opined) is not an adequate backup plan.

Tom

Dear Tom,

I think you did not listening carefully, as it was mentioned. The problem with 3rd fire was that owner of the glider was informed and asked by the factory not to use his batteries. So this this 3rd fire could be easily avoided, but he could not resist to use his batteries. This happened when we already had a solution and it was part of the same problem, which could be easily avoided.

Regards,
Luka

Perhaps I didn't listen carefully enough, but I was listening carefully - it was not a part of your presentation, but a question from the audience. Whether the 3rd fire could have been avoided is not the issue here. It is probably better, from a safety analysis standpoint, that it DID occur.

I have read the AAIB report, which was very thorough. The most disturbing part was that there was no root cause found for these fires. Your manufacturing process was careless, which has been corrected, but this wasn't determined to be the cause. The recommendations deal only with mitigating the effects of a fire once it starts. I am concerned that fires will continue to happen. I can only conclude that there are random defects occurring during the manufacture of the cells, and there has been no change made in this area.

Tom
Old May 9th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 7:33:55 AM UTC+2, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.

Hello,

I was wondering if the 50 L/D is actually real.
How is this glider's thermaling and slow speed flying performance and handling?
Old May 9th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was wondering if the 50 L/D is actually real.

Why of course!
Isn't that's what is printed in the brochure?
Old May 10th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It would be great if we could get some feedback of how this glider behaves at slow speeds, and in thermals, what's it's climbing performance and especially handling. Does it require a lot of work and concentration from the pilot to keep it circling at low speeds? Does it do unannounced spins? What's the feel in general? I have no doubt it's a good jumper, my questions are mostly about climbing and handling. If anyone gets to test it and compare it to other gliders it would be great, cause I might be considering buying this glider. Other variant is a LAK-17c-FES 18m self-launch, or an older ventus 2cM.