Ventus 2c gas spring

Old December 15th 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

Default Ventus 2c gas spring

Does anyone have experience replacing the gas spring that supports the instrument panel in the Ventus2c? Any information on the specifications of the spring any difficulties encountered in replacing it will be greatly appreciated.
Old December 16th 20, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 11:15:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Does anyone have experience replacing the gas spring that supports the instrument panel in the Ventus2c? Any information on the specifications of the spring any difficulties encountered in replacing it will be greatly appreciated.

Definitely a pain in the butt. The far end is difficult to reach. Adjust your rudder pedals to minimize their interference with the limited room available. Use a ratcheting box wrench to remove/replace the hardware. Sorry, don't remember the spring specs and can't find any documentation.

Old December 16th 20, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Definitely a pain in the butt. The far end is difficult to reach. Adjust your rudder pedals to minimize their interference with the limited room available. Use a ratcheting box wrench to remove/replace the hardware. Sorry, don't remember the spring specs and can't find any documentation.

There is a possibility that the far end fitting can be left in place and the existing gas strut rod end can be unscrewed from the fitting, allowing you to just screw in the new one. The ASW-20 and Pegase canopy gas springs can be replaced using this method.

Old December 16th 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 7:32:41 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
Definitely a pain in the butt. The far end is difficult to reach. Adjust your rudder pedals to minimize their interference with the limited room available. Use a ratcheting box wrench to remove/replace the hardware. Sorry, don't remember the spring specs and can't find any documentation.

There is a possibility that the far end fitting can be left in place and the existing gas strut rod end can be unscrewed from the fitting, allowing you to just screw in the new one. The ASW-20 and Pegase canopy gas springs can be replaced using this method.

Replaced the strut on a Ventus 2b and agree with both above. I removed the entire spring, exchanged fittings outside the cockpit, re-installed. A little knuckle-busty but not too bad. Got the factory spring because Heinz had one in inventory. ) But he is now retired, I believe.
Old December 18th 20, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

Got the factory spring because Heinz had one in inventory. ) But he is now retired, I believe.

Garret Willet is now the U.S. Schempp-Hirth rep, at Yankee Composites, Warner Springs, CA. He took on all or most of Heinz' inventory, I believe.
http://www.yankeecomposites.com/

Old December 18th 20, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 12:46:04 AM UTC-5, GliderCZ wrote:
Got the factory spring because Heinz had one in inventory. ) But he is now retired, I believe.

Garret Willet is now the U.S. Schempp-Hirth rep, at Yankee Composites, Warner Springs, CA. He took on all or most of Heinz' inventory, I believe.
http://www.yankeecomposites.com/

Thanks to all who replied.
Old March 20th 21, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 11:06:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 12:46:04 AM UTC-5, GliderCZ wrote:
Got the factory spring because Heinz had one in inventory. ) But he is now retired, I believe.

Garret Willet is now the U.S. Schempp-Hirth rep, at Yankee Composites, Warner Springs, CA. He took on all or most of Heinz' inventory, I believe.
http://www.yankeecomposites.com/

Thanks to all who replied.

Does anyone have the spec for this shock? I need to replace the one on my Ventus 2c.
Old March 20th 21, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If your Ventus is an Experimental, look for identifying marks on the
shock and then cross reference it to an automotive part. You can bet SH
did not design and build their own...

Dan
5J

Old March 21st 21, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Acree

On Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 10:29:36 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
If your Ventus is an Experimental, look for identifying marks on the
shock and then cross reference it to an automotive part. You can bet SH
did not design and build their own...

Dan

LS Technologies Canada. They can make anything you want. I have used them for Cobra trailer struts after I waited for over 3 months for them from Cobra. Had them in a week. Knowledgeable and helpful.

http://lstechnologies.ca/

Randy AV8
Old March 22nd 21, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 7:01:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
LS Technologies Canada. They can make anything you want. I have used them for Cobra trailer struts after I waited for over 3 months for them from Cobra. Had them in a week. Knowledgeable and helpful.

Two pair were installed on Cobra trailers at El Tiro this weekend.

5Z & WA