Ipaq and Sunglasses

Old June 27th 05, 05:37 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Default Ipaq and Sunglasses

I've had to replace a balky Compaq Aero 1520, running
Glide Navigator II with an Ipaq. I was worried about
the readability of the color screen vs. the gray scale
of the Aero.

The newer Ipaq is a 3955. I decided to go for an Ipaq
rather than another Aero, like a 1550, because:

1. The Ipaq was available from a friend and fellow
club member.

2. The Ipaq is newer, I guess, than any Aero.

I wonder if my Aero was starting to give bogus information
because something has gone wrong as it ages. So, I
wanted the newer pda to be at least one generation
younger.

As for readability: I've had one flight for a bit
over an hour with the Ipaq installed. Most of the
flight was under a solid overcast. Yea, the lift was
weak and I didn't go anywhere, but at least I flew.

Even though it was overcast, I wore my SunTiger sunglasses
and the Ipaq was easily visible. Once on the ground,
I put on my regular clear glasses and was amazed at
how the Ipaq's readability degraded! (Same prescription
for the clear glasses and the SunTigers.)

It will be interesting to see the Ipaq on a 'regular'
flight; i.e., when there is sunshine!

But so far, after many flights with the SunTigers,
I can say I'm quite happy with them. And after one
flight with the Ipaq, I satisfied with its performance.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old June 27th 05, 06:23 PM
Robert Backer

Ray, I have some info for you but have not been able to get your "remove
to reply" decoded. E-mail me directly so that I can reply.

Bob

Old June 27th 05, 08:25 PM
HL Falbaum

I use a 3955 and Winpilot. I use either Suntiger or Serenghetti depending on
the day.
I use it as a essentially monochrome display by not showing the terrrain.
Mostly it is fine, and in brighter light, the terrain is OK too. With
extensive cloud spreadout, I occasionally have to lift the glasses. Under
those circumstances the terrain map is hard to see, and not that useful
where I fly (Southeast USA). The iPAQ will be fine with GNII--tried it ,
too.

--
Hartley Falbaum