Time for Separate 18m Records?

Old April 20th 20, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Time for Separate 18m Records?

Tim Taylor wrote:
18M Pilots are the millennials of soaring.

OK, Boomer

ROY

[This also is sarcasm]

Old April 20th 20, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

why keep the 15 meter class?

Okay, fine. I can be bought. You 18m guys float me a JS-3, I won't make fun of you.

Deal?

eyes rolling... not certain I can hold up my end...

T8
Old April 20th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Aren't pretty much all 18m gliders convertible into either 15 or 21m? Except for early JS-1A and ASH-26E? So I think the argument could be made that owners of top of the line 18m gliders already have gliders that are eligible for records in the established classes
Old April 20th 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If were gonna rei-engineer records, Id rather redo all the records according to L/D. Lets say 3 groups: under 28/1, 29-40, above 40 etc. The wingspan don’t mean much when comparing most ships nowadays. A minilak at 13..5 meters can outfly an 18 m open cirrus. And lumping that same mini lak in with a 1-26 isn’t right either lol.
Dan
Old April 20th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 3:58:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If were gonna rei-engineer records, Id rather redo all the records according to L/D. Lets say 3 groups: under 28/1, 29-40, above 40 etc. The wingspan don’t mean much when comparing most ships nowadays. A minilak at 13.5 meters can outfly an 18 m open cirrus. And lumping that same mini lak in with a 1-26 isn’t right either lol.
Dan

AFAIK the world record distance in 13.5m is currently held by a 1-26.
Old April 20th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Tony
So easy

Sawzall!

Old April 20th 20, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 3:13:50 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
why keep the 15 meter class?

Okay, fine. I can be bought. You 18m guys float me a JS-3, I won't make fun of you.

Deal?

eyes rolling... not certain I can hold up my end...

T8

I only make fun of all gliders with motors, Motorglider guys and gals should be ashamed.
Old April 21st 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Motorglider
Jumbo shrimp
Miltary Intelligence

Can you say "Oxymoron?"
Old April 21st 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

LOL Mark! too true
Old April 21st 20, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep Moshe and that is definitely an accomplishment, wat to go Daniel.