Flight review

Old April 22nd 20, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Flight review

Going back a few years, if a two seat glider was not available, ie...down for ‘maintenance’, a flight review could be accomplish by instructor/examiner observation from the ground only. I was informed of this in the 1980s by the FAA himself and took it as gospel. Even done a few myself. With social distancing all the rage now, something to ponder.
I would give the examinee a list of maneuvers to be performed over the field, on tow, etc. They had to be current, actively flying. I had to know them and their skill level. 1 high tow, 2 patterns...throw in a downwind landing.
No crash, you pass.
Old April 22nd 20, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Going back a few years, if a two seat glider was not available, ie...down for ‘maintenance’, a flight review could be accomplish by instructor/examiner observation from the ground only. I was informed of this in the 1980s by the FAA himself and took it as gospel.

I wondered about that as well, nowdays with a radios and video cameras moving with pilots head, you might be able to do a pretty good flight review. But it needs good but also legal. The regs in 61.56 and 61.11 provide may some wiggle room (especially for glider pilots) but I'd want to see a letter from the FAA before depending on it. Seems like an SSA of AOPA thing?
Old April 22nd 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

or maybe all flight reviews could now be done on Condor. Heck, maybe Condor will be our only flight choice for the next few years?

Boggs
Old April 22nd 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:18:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Going back a few years, if a two seat glider was not available, ie...down for ‘maintenance’, a flight review could be accomplish by instructor/examiner observation from the ground only. I was informed of this in the 1980s by the FAA himself and took it as gospel. Even done a few myself. With social distancing all the rage now, something to ponder.
I would give the examinee a list of maneuvers to be performed over the field, on tow, etc. They had to be current, actively flying. I had to know them and their skill level. 1 high tow, 2 patterns...throw in a downwind landing.
No crash, you pass.

That rule was created for initial pilot certificates not flight reviews unfortunately...
Old April 22nd 20, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 4/22/2020 7:02 AM, Waveguru wrote:
Heck, maybe Condor will be our only flight choice for the next few years?

To quote one of the passengers in the movie, "Airplane!"...
Sh-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-t...
-- -
Dan, 5J
Old April 22nd 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 6:18:30 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Going back a few years, if a two seat glider was not available, ie...down for ‘maintenance’, a flight review could be accomplish by instructor/examiner observation from the ground only. I was informed of this in the 1980s by the FAA himself and took it as gospel. Even done a few myself. With social distancing all the rage now, something to ponder.
I would give the examinee a list of maneuvers to be performed over the field, on tow, etc. They had to be current, actively flying. I had to know them and their skill level. 1 high tow, 2 patterns...throw in a downwind landing.
No crash, you pass.

Alas after the long off-season followed by the covid-season, many pilots who formally need a FR are definitely not "current, actively flying". Some pilots in my club I would be confident in letting them do an observed solo flight, others not so much.

BTW the ground portion of the FR could be done via Zoom or such.

Old April 22nd 20, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As a user of the FAA Wings program, I learned to my pleasant surprise

that my flight review had been extended from this month until the end of
February 2021. What a deal!

Dan,

It looks like to use Wings for the BFR, you need ground and flight credits.

Did you have some flight credits, and how did you get them?

Stu
Old April 23rd 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I did an Instrument Competency Check flight a while back with a CFII and
I've been doing AOPA courses and quizzes for years as they come along.Â*
They all seem to be linked to Wings.Â* Like I said, I was pleasantly
surprised to find the extension of my Flight Review and I downloaded the
certificate and forwarded it to my insurance agent. He checked with the
underwriter and confirmed the good news.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 23rd 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Wings still shows mine expiring 3/31/2020.
It was renewed in 2018 by renewing my CFI with an examiner.

Fortunately I did a flight review early in March and have it signed off in my log book. Wings just doesn't know about it.

Brian
Old April 23rd 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Doesn't the CFI you did the Flight Review with have to update your Wings
account?Â* But as long as you have the log book endorsement, you're OK.