Thunderbird accidents

Old September 17th 03, 06:19 AM
Darin Ninness

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message ...
In article , SA
wrote:

"While there were 36 major accidents that killed 24 Thunderbird pilots
between 1953 and 1981, there have been no fatalities and only one minor
accident since the 1982 tragedy -- a fact in which Creech took great pride."

Well, there was at least one fatality since 1982. A member of the
public crashed an auto through the airport gate and rammed one of
the F-16's as it was parked. I recall that the F-16 nose gear
collapsed in the impact, and the jet fell on the car, killing
the driver. I didn't look up the date, but I do recall this happening
at Selfridge in Michigan in the mid to late 90's.

Good friend of mine was the Chief of Police at Selfridge when that
happened. My faulty memory says 1993-1994. The driver was a dependent
who had been over at the Navy Club (Mole Hole) tossing a few back,
apparently, and in the middle of the night, instead of taking his car
thru the Navy Club parking lot toward the perimeter road, he drove out
onto the ramp (the Mole Hole is the old tanker alert facility.. its
literally right on the edge of the ramp), took a taxiway across the
runway and down another taxiway to where the T-birds were parked.
(They were on a taxiway away from all the other airshow aircraft for
security reasons) The roving sentry reported that the car didn't have
any lights on and he didn't even see it approaching until the last
second when he heard the motor revving up.

In true military fashion, **** ran downhill when it was time to assign
blame, so my friend the chief of police got axed instead of the
general in charge of the base. Even though they'd placed a higher
level of security on the T-Birds aircraft than they normally call for,
and that the sentries couldn't have done anything in time to stop that
car even if they'd been locked and loaded and there had been 10 of
them out there.

That was pretty messed up, however.

NIN
Old September 17th 03, 05:12 PM
Mark

Here's a link for you..... speaks to incident in '92

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E3BA22DE5

Mark

Old September 18th 03, 12:51 AM
Mike Beede

In article .net, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Also, there was no "go exploded call".

I assume from context that this means "fly in different directions and
we'll sort it out later." Is that roughly correct?

Thanks,

Mike Beede
Old September 20th 03, 05:08 AM
Earl Watkins

Accident a Hill AFB in May (?) 1981

On May 9 1981 Capt. Nick Hauck was killed durring a performance at
Hill AFB. He was flying a T-38. Capt R.D. Evans returned to fill the
position.

THUNDERBIRDS KILLED WHILE SERVING ON THE TEAM

NAME POSITION AIRCRAFT DATE

Capt. George Kevil Solo F-84G 12/13/54
Capt. Bob Rutte Solo F-100C 9/26/57
Capt. C. D. Salmon Solo/Slot F-100C 03/12/59
Capt. J. R. Crane Narrator F-100C 07/27/60
Maj. Robert Fitzgerald Cmdr/Ldr F-100F 04/06/61
Capt. George Nail Narrator F-100F 04/06/61
Capt. Gene Devlin Left Wing F-105B 05/09/64
Maj. Frank Leithen Exec Officer F-100F 10/12/66
Capt. Robert Morgan Solo F-100F 10/12/66
Capt. Jack Thurman Solo F-100D 01/09/69
Maj. Joe Howard Right Wing F-4E 06/04/72
Capt. Jerry Bolt Slot F-4E 12/21/72
Capt. Charlie Carter Narrator T-38A 07/25/77
Capt. Nick Hauck Solo T-38A 05/09/81
Lt. Col. D. L. Smith Cmdr/Ldr T-38A 09/08/81
Maj. Norm Lowry Cmdr/Ldr T-38A 01/18/82
Capt. Willie Mays Left Wing T-38A 01/18/82
Capt. Pete Peterson Right Wing T-38A 01/18/82
Capt. Mark Melancon Slot T-38A 01/18/82

CWO Floyd Pulley Eng. Officer C-123 10/08/58
MSgt. Boyd Lambreth Chief Inspector C-123 10/08/58
SSgt. John Bishop Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
SSgt. George Blanchard Engines C-123 10/08/58
SSgt. Charles Hillhouse Flight Chief C-123 10/08/58
SSgt. Robert Myers Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
SSgt. George Stevens Electrician C-123 10/08/58
A1C Elmer Houseman Jr. Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
A1C Richard Lashley Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
A1C Don Seaney Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
A2C Jerry Adams Crew Chief C-123 10/08/58
A2C Adrian Gayther Radio C-123 10/08/58
TSgt. John Lesso Flight Engineer C-123 10/08/58
TSgt. Chuck Lynn Crew Chief F-4E 12/21/72
Old September 22nd 03, 05:53 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article .net, Dudley

Henriques wrote:

Also, there was no "go exploded call".

I assume from context that this means "fly in different directions and
we'll sort it out later." Is that roughly correct?

Thanks,

Mike Beede

Basically that's correct. It's a briefed and practiced maneuver for each
position.
DH