What colour?

Old August 6th 03, 04:53 PM
Ernest Christley

Roger Halstead wrote:

It's been my experience which is admittedly limited, that metallic
colors/pigments tend to get hotter than the same colors with out the
metallic pigment. (hope I phrased that correctly)

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Would that be because the non-metallic paints have a much lower
coefficient of heat transfer? That is, the very outer layer heats up,
but then acts as insulation and doesn't transfer the heat energy any
deeper. The higher metal content would work as a heat wick.

Just guessing.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Old August 6th 03, 08:15 PM
BD5ER

Your perception of it being hot was based on the material conducting
heat into your fingers when you touched it.

This is why I just always assumed that the wrenches I left out in the sun
"felt" so hot, but the other day I happened to leave some tools on the outside
window sill of my shop. When I went to retrieve them they were almost too hot
to hold. The strange thing is that the one black impact extension was far
cooler to the touch than the chrome ones.

I think there is a lot more to heat gain than just color and surface finish
than those of us unschooled in the ways of IR understand.
Old August 8th 03, 08:12 PM
Larry Smith

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
Colour selection should be based on more than its emissivity. You want
something that will stand out if the Search and Rescue boys have to go
start looking for you. ELTs are fine, but they often don't work
properly

At 57A yesterday they had 50-some airplanes to search for a screaming ELT.
Whup-whup-whup-whup-wooop-wooop-wooooop-woooop-woooop.

They came by the hangar and harassed a few of us then went on, after I tore
into the rear sling to see if mine was on. They finally found it in an
airplane that had just landed, apparently about 10 feet above the asphalt.

Old August 9th 03, 12:03 AM
Fastglasair

I've seen large areas covered with bright orange trees in the fall. Never
seen any blue trees though.

What about "Blue" Spruce?