Applying New Seals

Old October 4th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Applying New Seals

On Oct 4, 2:52*pm, wrote:

Thin CA glue seems to work as a surfacer that helps when bonding to
routed surfaces.

1001 uses. Noted.

-T8
Old October 4th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 4, 3:05*pm, hretting wrote:
What if the top white glossy 'safety tape' has started to peel but the
mylar gap seal is still attach firmly with no issues. Is this an
indication that the mylar is in need of replacement or simply clean
the mylar surface and re-apply the safety tape?
Thanks,

I've seen safety tape so old you could almost blow it off while seal
bond was just fine.
If bond is good, don't mess with it. Clean up well and replace safety
tape.
Usually every couple years is good enough.
Seems most folks only pay attention when it is falling off.
Safety tape is quite important on elevators especially.
UH
Old October 5th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Go to Lee Valley Hardware and buy the plastic Razor blades. You can
use these to remove the tape gunk and not damage the gelcoat or Mylar
while scraping.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43407,53612

Dave
www.foxonecorp.com

Old October 5th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 10/4/2011 5:44 AM, JJ Sinclair wrote:

After 30 years in the repair business, I found the only way to insure
the mylar didn't lift was to sand both the inside of the mylar and the
corresponding wing (stab, fin) with 220 dry, then wipe both surfaces
with acetone just before applying double back sticky. Keep the DBS
straight as an arrow and then follow it in order to keep the Mylas
straight without any kinks. Sand only the 10mm area where the DBS will
go. If you get a kink, make a cut to remove it and press on.
I believe a good mylar job is all that in needed (internal seals not
necessary).

I've always used Mylar that already had the transfer tape on it. It
saves me a lot effort and time, and I've never had the adhesive come off
the Mylar.

I prepared the carbon on my ASH 26 E by cleaning off the old adhesive
COMPLETELY, even scraping with a flat Xacto blade or single edge razor,
then sanding gently with a block and 320 grit as JJ describes until only
fresh carbon shows, then cleaning the residue off with acetone.

I apply the Mylar under a very slight tension. When it's all on, I rub
over the adhesive portion with a firm piece of balsa, rag, thumb, as
needed , then follow that with a hard roller, paying particular
attention to "white" places. That's probably easier to do when the wing
surface is carbon instead of gel coat.

email me)
Old October 5th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Oct 4, 5:24*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Forgot one thing, I make sure the mylar is secured to the DBS and to
the surface by rolling it very hard with a roller that I made from a
30mm X 10mm bearing mounted on a 12" rod. I press down real hard as I
roll everything twice. I usually buff and wax the ship every other
year (wax every year), then replace the safety tape which is showing
some age (wax after replacing the safety tape). BTW, I believe the
pilot of Ventus that had tape lift on its elevator, had waxed the
surface, then applied the safety tape..........good point to remember!
Cheers,
JJ
Old October 5th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 4, 8:04*am, T8 wrote:

5) Remove protective film from bonding tape.

What I have found works well is to tape the mylar seal in place over
the bonding tape and then peel off a short length of the backing at a
90 deg angle to the mylar. Stick down the mylar in this area then
pull on the backing to expose another few inches and stick that down.
Keep working along the seal until it's all stuck down.

Andy

Knots 2U gap seals JAMES VOYTEK Owning 15 February 5th 07 05:12 PM
Gel headset seals Brian Burger Piloting 2 September 26th 04 12:00 AM
ZZ Mylar seals Mike Soaring 3 March 29th 04 03:45 PM
mylar seals D.A.L Soaring 1 February 23rd 04 07:15 PM
New ear seals Chris Owning 7 December 16th 03 01:02 AM