Soaring in Europe

Old October 2nd 11, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Griffin

Default Soaring in Europe

I plan on taking an extended trip to Europe next year and want to do some
mountain flying while there. Have seen 2 great videos on Youtbe. 1 in
Switzerland and 1 in France

http://youtu.be/2_a1Pq-zjrU

http://youtu.be/vRBJvME2CQU

I guess Switzerland is expensive but would welcome views from anyone who's
been flying in Europe as to best locations, aircraft hire costs etc.

Karl

Old October 2nd 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

This is a subject that is well discussed on this site. Search this
Group for "soaring centers in europe" and such.
Old October 3rd 11, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gregv

On Oct 2, 11:31*am, Karl Griffin wrote:
I plan on taking an extended trip to Europe next year and want to do some
mountain flying while there. Have seen 2 great videos on Youtbe. 1 in
Switzerland and 1 in France

http://youtu.be/2_a1Pq-zjrU

http://youtu.be/vRBJvME2CQU

I guess Switzerland is expensive but would welcome views from anyone who's
been flying in Europe as to best locations, aircraft hire costs etc.

Karl

Here is what you can see flying from Sion or Raron http://www.sfgo.ch/
weather is good from april to july

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6GJLDqnYY

Puimoisson: http://www.puivolavoile.com/?lang=en is also a great
place to fly, with very good weather from march to september

Old October 3rd 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert TW

On 3 oct, 10:43, gregv wrote:
On Oct 2, 11:31*am, Karl Griffin wrote:

I plan on taking an extended trip to Europe next year and want to do some
mountain flying while there. Have seen 2 great videos on Youtbe. 1 in
Switzerland and 1 in France

http://youtu.be/2_a1Pq-zjrU

http://youtu.be/vRBJvME2CQU

I guess Switzerland is expensive but would welcome views from anyone who's
been flying in Europe as to best locations, aircraft hire costs etc.

Karl

Here is what you can see flying from Sion or Raron *http://www.sfgo.ch/
weather is good from april to july

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6GJLDqnYY

Puimoisson:http://www.puivolavoile.com/?lang=en*is also a great
place to fly, with very good weather from march to september

Weather in Switzerland is good from March to September, except when
it's **** - which this year was from May to mid-August.
Southern France has about 300 sunny days per year. Most smaller clubs
(Sisteron, La Motte, Barcelonette, St Crepin) operate from March to
September. Vinon and Fayence operate all year round, but there is a
reason that the others stop during winter.
Old October 4th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Oliver

Karl

The St Auban video was me! Glad you enjoyed it.

You don't say which area of Europe you are planning to visit and I can only
talk about the Alps which I am getting to know after a few years of going
when I can.

As has already been said there are numerous places to fly from and the
scenery and conditions are great in the whole area. For me St Auban wins
for a number of reasons. Firstly in terms of aircraft it must have the best
fleet in the world and all well maintained. In double seaters it has the
Arcus, ASH25, Nimbus 4, DG1000, and around 5 Duos as well as Janus, Grob
and even a K13. The single seater fleet is equally impressive with ASG 29,
ASW27, several Ventus', Discus 2C's and more.

What makes it really special though is the personnel. This is not a club
but a professional mountain flying school with around 8-10 full time
instructors at least 4 of whom are former world champions. There is
reasonable accomodation on site and a basic canteen. Course members come
from all round the world.

Launching is mainly by aerotow althought they do have 2 winches which are
used in the right conditions.

Feel free to contact me off line if you want further details or contact the
office on info @cnvv.net.

Mike