Mio S501 GPS

Old October 5th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Mio S501 GPS

I just bought a LAK-17a (LOVE it, BTW) and I bought a used Mio S501 on the
net.

I have all the instructions for unlocking the Mio but can't get it to work.
The instructions begin with connecting the Mio to the PC as a mobile device.
I have a desktop running XP and Active Sync and a laptop running Vista and
Windows Mobile Device Center. Neither of these will connect to the Mio.

I can connect my Compaq 1550 to the XP machine via Active Sync but not to
the laptop using a USB to serial converter.

The unlock instructions would have me execute programs on the Mio through
the PC to get everything set up but, since I can't figure out how to connect
it (reading all the instructions over and over), I'm at a loss.

Currently, I can get a desktop on the Mio and, using File Manager, can start
LK8000 or XCSoar but neither of them will connect to the GPS function on the
Mio.

Any help out there?

Dan

Old October 5th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

You might try this from the LK8000 hardware section:

For LK8000 to read the Mio GPS signal you must do the following
In LK8000 go to menu - config 2/3 – "setup system"
Go to page 8 "Devices"
Set Device A as Generic - Com2 - 57600
(if you are not using Device B then use the same settings)

Charlie

Old October 5th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, Charlie, I'll give it a try.

I'm the duty tow pilot today but will take the laptop, Mio, etc with me to
the airport and work on this during down time. It doesn't look that great
at Moriarty today anyway...

Dan

Old October 5th 11, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I am certainly not an expert on it, but have done it once on a similar
Mio.

I seems to recall you may have put file an and SD Card and restart the
mio with the SD card installed to unlock it, ie bypass the default
navigation software.

You may want to search for something like MIO S501 UNLOCK

Brian

Old October 5th 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Been here, done this...

http://navmanunlocked.wikispaces.com/Unlock

Check step 2 Connecting the device.
Connect your device by the USB cable to your PC.

This does not work for me. The Mio is seen by the laptop as simply a remote
disk. I can move files onto the SD card either while it's installed in the
Mio or in the slot on my laptop. If I run the unlock file on the laptop, I
can't install the desktop since that's for Windows CE. If I try to run it
on the Mio, I'm told that the program doesn't work on this operating system.

I know that I'm supposed to connect via Womdows Mobile Device Center, but,
when I try that, the Mio is seen as simply a disk and not a windows mobile
device, hence no connection.

Old October 5th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan[_4_]

To unlock the Mio
1. Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?ytgjnkngqdx and download
mio_moov_unlock.zip

2. Extract mio_moov_unlock.zip into a folder on your computer - NOT
the Mio M400

3. Plug your M400 into your computer using a USB data cable then turn
on the M400 and wait for the communications screen.

4. Open the folder where you stored the extracted mio_moov_unlock.
Double click on Setup.exe. When the screen comes up click on "install
desktop". Then click on "close". Unplug the M400 USB cable, reset it
and turn it on again. It should now be unlocked and you will get a
Windows desktop with one Icon on it called SmartST (This is a Navigon
program called Smart Street used by Mio. If you press this icon it
will start the MioMap program and you will have to reset the M400
again to get back to the desktop)

5. Plug in the M400 with the USB cable and wait for the communications
screen. Transfer a copy of the LK8000 folder you are using from your
computer to the root directory of the M400. Unplug the M400 and wait
for the desktop.

6. On the M400 - click on "start" - click on "FileManCe" - click on
"My Flash Disk" - click on "LK8000" - click on "LK8000-PNA.exe" and
(roll of drums") LK8000 should start!

To set up desktop icons for LK8000 and for Rotate Screen

1. On the M400 - click on "start" - click on "FileManCe" - click on
"My Flash Disk" - click on "LK8000". Highlight the file LK8000-PNA.exe
- click on "file" (top left corner of desktop and it might be
partially obscured by the Windows logo) - click on "create shortcut"
and it will create the file LK8000-PNA.lnk. Do not close "FileManCe" –
continue with step 2.

2. Click on _SYSTEM – click on _CEUtilities. Highlight the file
ROTATE.EXE - click on "file" (top left corner of desktop and it might
be partially obscured by the Windows logo) - click on "create
shortcut" and it will create the file ROTATE.lnk. Close "FileManCe".

3. Plug the M400 into your computer and wait for the communications
screen.

4. On your computer (not the M400) Open the folder \Mio Device\LK8000
and copy the file LK8000-PNA.lnk and paste it into the folder \Mio
Device\Program Files\Unlock\Desktop - when you do this DO NOT TRY TO
OPEN the Desktop folder - just paste the file on to it.

5. On your computer (not the M400) Open the folder \Mio Device
\LK8000\_SYSTEM\_CEUtilities and copy the file ROTATE.lnk and paste it
into the folder \Mio Device\Program Files\Unlock\Desktop - again DO
NOT TRY TO OPEN the Desktop folder - just paste the file on to it.

6. Unplug the M400 USB cable and you will have three icons on the desk
top. LK8000, SmartST (MioMap) and Rotate.

Old October 6th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks for some great help, Allan.

Last night, I spoke with Wells Morse and he helped me get the MIO unlocked.

I'm now reviewing the XCSoar manual trying to get the Moriarty turnpoints,
terrain, and special use airspace files loaded. I'm sure it's simply a
matter of getting the file structure correct.

Dan

Old October 6th 11, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Got it all running!

I was the duty tow pilot again today, but winds were 20 gusting 40 directly
across the runway, so no flying. It worked in the car, however!

Now I've gotta determine if there's a cable available or if I can build one
to connect the 302 serial port to the Mio USB port. That ought to give me a
$75 Clear Nav!

Old October 7th 11, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

Here's a cable for you with a 12 to 5 volt power supply:
http://www.glidertools.com/news/rs-2...-power-supply/.

Charlie
Old October 7th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan[_4_]

This should do it. Allan.

http://www.glidertools.com/products/...wer-supply-5v/