Returning to gliding

Old October 7th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick Miller

Default Returning to gliding

After a divorce, selling the farm and helping my now adult kids into
their own places I'm about ready to consider returning to the sport. I
used to be a contributor to this forum up until about 2003. In those
days it was THE place to be.

But in another life and another couple of interests, the cetre of the
world has shifted away from these old newsgroups to more easily
navigated online forums with better security.

Without dissing THIS forum, can anyone point me toward where the
current discussions are happening most?

Old October 7th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Oct 7, 4:40 pm, Patrick Miller wrote:
After a divorce, selling the farm and helping my now adult kids into
their own places I'm about ready to consider returning to the sport. I
used to be a contributor to this forum up until about 2003. In those
days it was THE place to be.

But in another life and another couple of interests, the cetre of the
world has shifted away from these old newsgroups to more easily
navigated online forums with better security.

Without dissing THIS forum, can anyone point me toward where the
current discussions are happening most?

assuming you are in the usa, here.
Old October 7th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 10/7/2011 3:29 PM, Tony wrote:
On Oct 7, 4:40 pm, Patrick wrote:
After a divorce, selling the farm and helping my now adult kids into
their own places I'm about ready to consider returning to the sport. I
used to be a contributor to this forum up until about 2003. In those
days it was THE place to be.

But in another life and another couple of interests, the cetre of the
world has shifted away from these old newsgroups to more easily
navigated online forums with better security.

Without dissing THIS forum, can anyone point me toward where the
current discussions are happening most?

assuming you are in the usa, here.

If you find a better one, please come back and tell us about it. I know
I haven't checked around for several years.

For me, this is easy navigating (I get it by using the newsreader built
into my email client), and I'm not aware of any security concerns during
the many years I've used it. I'd be more concerned about a web-based one.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old October 7th 11, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Oct 7, 6:47*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 10/7/2011 3:29 PM, Tony wrote:

On Oct 7, 4:40 pm, Patrick *wrote:
[...]

You can try Soaring Cafe (http://www.soaringcafe.net), but R.A.S is
still the best place for late-breaking news and good advice on just
about anything soaring related. YMMV ;-).

Frank
Old October 8th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick Miller

Well, I am surprised. Nonetheless I'll enjoy getting back into reading
RAS. Is Lennie the Lurker still active?

Old October 9th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 10/8/2011 6:36 PM, Patrick Miller wrote:
Well, I am surprised. Nonetheless I'll enjoy getting back into reading
RAS. Is Lennie the Lurker still active?

Not unless you are Lennie. :-)

Tony

Old October 9th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Oct 8, 7:21*pm, Tony V wrote:
On 10/8/2011 6:36 PM, Patrick Miller wrote:

Well, I am surprised. Nonetheless I'll enjoy getting back into reading
RAS. Is Lennie the Lurker still active?

Not unless you are Lennie. :-)

Tony

For those who are new to RAS, "Lennie the Lurker" was a foul mouthed
curmudgeon who frequented RAS a decade ago. It was apparent that
Lennie, an accomplished machinist and seemingly talented individual,
either was severely depressed or othewise mentally out of kilter. One
of his more infamous threads followed his threat to go out and destroy
his 1-26. Hopefully he has found peace and solice elsewhere. I gotta
say I don't miss his postings or the endless rebutals his posts
elicited.

bumper

Old October 9th 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Elizabeth Gamby

For those who are new to RAS, "Lennie the Lurker" was a foul mouthed
curmudgeon who frequented RAS a decade ago. It was apparent that
Lennie, an accomplished machinist and seemingly talented individual,
either was severely depressed or othewise mentally out of kilter. One
of his more infamous threads followed his threat to go out and destroy
his 1-26. Hopefully he has *found peace and solice elsewhere. I gotta
say I don't miss his postings or the endless rebutals his posts
elicited.

bumper

That's pretty much how I remember him. His absence is one of the
"pull" factors for returning to RAS
Old October 9th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

wrote:
On Oct 8, 7:21Â*pm, Tony V wrote:
On 10/8/2011 6:36 PM, Patrick Miller wrote:

Well, I am surprised. Nonetheless I'll enjoy getting back into reading
RAS. Is Lennie the Lurker still active?

Not unless you are Lennie. :-)

Tony

For those who are new to RAS, "Lennie the Lurker" was a foul mouthed
curmudgeon who frequented RAS a decade ago. It was apparent that
Lennie, an accomplished machinist and seemingly talented individual,
either was severely depressed or othewise mentally out of kilter. One
of his more infamous threads followed his threat to go out and destroy
his 1-26. Hopefully he has found peace and solice elsewhere. I gotta
say I don't miss his postings or the endless rebutals his posts
elicited.
bumper

I purchased one of Lennie's custom Schreder flap cracks for my HP-14. He is an amazing machinist. It is too bad that it is too large for my cockpit.

I haven't heard from Lennie in years.

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Old October 10th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

First comment - Unlike that majority of other usenet groups that have
devolved into horrific piles of scams and fake goods for sale (shoes,
watches, sex, etc, etc) causing all the useful denizens to go to other
more monitored/moderated blogs to continue their conversations -
rec.aviation.soaring seems to have kept its core values intact (with
only the very occasional scams and fake goods for sale).

Lennie Redux - If you are interested you can still find some of his
RAS rants from back around 2000. Go to http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring
and search for "Lennie the Lurker".

- John

Returning to GA TomC Piloting 1 April 17th 11 01:38 AM
F18's Returning Ned Edwards Aviation Photos 0 June 28th 08 11:20 PM
returning to flying after 29 years Qzectb Piloting 22 May 1st 08 01:14 AM
Returning stored aircraft to register george mcleod Restoration 2 December 6th 03 02:07 PM