Shots fired

Old October 31st 03, 12:42 PM
Dan Luke

Default Shots fired

Last night I canceled a flight for a (for me) unique reason: the tower
was warning departing aircraft that FBO personnel had heard several
bursts of gunfire coinciding with departing flights passing over the
neighborhood off rwy 14.

The tower called the police but, as of late last night, no perp's had
been located.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 31st 03, 02:02 PM
MLenoch

I have a friend who is a cropduster by trade. Every other year they are shot
at. Sometimes are hit. And most often some drunk was taking pot shots at
them.
VL

Old October 31st 03, 04:28 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:

Last night I canceled a flight for a (for me) unique reason: the tower
was warning departing aircraft that FBO personnel had heard several
bursts of gunfire coinciding with departing flights passing over the
neighborhood off rwy 14.

The tower called the police but, as of late last night, no perp's had
been located.

What airport was it?

The noise Nazis over on alt.activision.noise.pollution are talking about
just such actions. Most of them are fools crazy enough to do just such a
thing!
Old October 31st 03, 04:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote:
What airport was it?

KBFM, Mobile (AL) Downtown.

The noise Nazis over on alt.activision.noise.pollution are talking

about
just such actions. Most of them are fools crazy enough to do just such

thing!

That was the first thing that occurred to me, but I doubt it. The
neighborhood is a little too "downscale" for noise nazi's tastes, I
think.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 31st 03, 05:22 PM
Tony Cox

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Last night I canceled a flight for a (for me) unique reason: the tower
was warning departing aircraft that FBO personnel had heard several
bursts of gunfire coinciding with departing flights passing over the
neighborhood off rwy 14.

I did a pre-purchase on a 182 a few years back that had had
a bullet hole on the horizontal stabilizer repaired. It'd lived most of its
life in southern CA. I wonder how many other 'shot-up' planes there
are out there?

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old October 31st 03, 05:43 PM
Jay Beckman

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Last night I canceled a flight for a (for me) unique reason: the tower
was warning departing aircraft that FBO personnel had heard several
bursts of gunfire coinciding with departing flights passing over the
neighborhood off rwy 14.

The tower called the police but, as of late last night, no perp's had
been located.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Ah the joys of "Devils Night."

Old October 31st 03, 06:13 PM
Montblack

There is (was?) a company out of Hastings Minnesota (Home of Gumby) that was
working on technology that pinpoints gunfire direction. The thing about this
technology was, it worked, and was pretty much off the shelf electronics -
Newspapers and TV had reports on the company and their product. This was
more than 5 years ago. And yes, two laptop units could triangulate a pretty
good fix.

--
Montblack
"Just the usual inanity"

("Dan Luke" wrote)

Old October 31st 03, 06:22 PM
Paul Sengupta

Saw a report a few months ago that some places in the US are
using it...they've set up permanent microphones on lamp posts or
similar all linked up so that any gunfire that happens can be
instantly pinpointed. I can't remember where it was now or where
I saw the report.

Paul