KX-155 weirdness

Old September 6th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Default KX-155 weirdness

I've just started noticing my KX-155 display acting weird right after
the avionics master is flipped on. The digits are all ~whako~ then they
slowly become legible after about 5 seconds or so and everything is fine.

I'm sure the oscillator that drives the display is slow to start up
and sooner or later (more like sooner) it will totally fail. I'd like
to just send it out and have it repaired before that... anyone have
a recommendation on a good shop that would service it and ship it back?

TIA

Scott

Old September 7th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

This is not an uncommon problem. Often times its just moisture. In any
case the display can be replaced for a resonable cost. Any twobit
avionics shop on the field can do the job in an hour. That's the great
thing about King radios, you don't need to send them back to the
factory.
-Robert

Old September 7th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Robert's right. It's probably moisture on the contact points of the
display. You can try to open the front panel of the radio, carefully
remove the display (which looks like a piece of glass), and clean the
contact points.

Old September 7th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

I appreciate the info fellas. I'm an electrical engineer so troubleshooting
electronics doesn't scare me, though I've never opened up one of these.

Scott