Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 11th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"mike regish" wrote:

One of my daughter's best friends has 3 dads-2 of whom are married. And I
went to the wedding of one of my wife's coworkers and friends who married
her girlfriend.

You live in Taxachusetts?

Ya think one of these days the citizens can actually vote on the issue,

That would be inappropriate, for the same reason that it would be wrong to
launch a referendum on whether interracial couples should be prohibited from
marrying, or whether Jews should be required to wear yellow stars.

Democracy is not the same as absolute tyranny of the majority. In a
democracy, equality before the law enjoys constitutional protections that
cannot be overridden by a majority vote.

(In addition to being inappropriate, a referendum on the issue would not
change the law: a solid majority of Massachusetts citizens and legislators
support same-sex marriage rights.)

--Gary

Old November 11th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"mike regish" wrote:

Just what makes you think this is even an issue the people should vote on?
Since when do people get to vote on basic rights? Do you think slavery would
have been abolished if the people got to vote on it?

Maybe we should get to vote on kicking the right wing, ultra conservative,
neo-con, war-mongering, fear-inducing, bible beating regressives out of the
country. I know how I'd vote.

what? you aren't one of those love-everyone liberals?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 11th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

One of my daughter's best friends has 3 dads-2 of whom are married. And I
went to the wedding of one of my wife's coworkers and friends who married
her girlfriend.

You live in Taxachusetts?

Ya think one of these days the citizens can actually vote on the issue,

That would be inappropriate

You and Mike assume facts not in evidence, i.e., that sexual perversion is
a basic right.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 11th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"mike regish" wrote:

Just what makes you think this is even an issue the people should vote on?
Since when do people get to vote on basic rights?

No one voted on the Constitution or that Bill of Rights?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 11th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jay filled the courtesy car because he's too cheap to fill his airplane.

Which brings up an interesting point. Would the average FBO rather
have his courtesy car's tank filled, or would he rather pump 8 gallons
of Avgas into a plane that doesn't need gas?

I had 76 gallons on board when I landed, Karl. Making the line guy
bring the truck over didn't make much sense.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
You and Mike assume facts not in evidence, i.e., that sexual perversion is
a basic right.

Some call interracial marriage a perversion; others call intragender
marriage a perversion. In either case, it's just bigoted name-calling,
unsupported by any rational argument. (A couple's ability or intention to
reproduce together has never been a prerequisite for marriage, nor should it
be.)

You're an American version of the Taliban. If you had your way, our legal
system would just be a codification of ancient superstitious prejudices.

Old November 11th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Just curious, but why do you feel having a web site is likely to linked to being
a better independent hotel?

Motels without a personal website (meaning not the blanket "chain" site
that covers the entire brand) have nothing to brag about, and are
usually run by "managers" -- not "owners". This is an important,
often critical difference in the service you will receive.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I bet I could do it without even getting impolite.

I believe you are correct.

Actually, I've escorted a few unruly guests off the property -- and my
night manager has done more than his share. That goes along with
owning a hotel in a college town -- for some reason, those young men
(and women) are all perfect gentlepeople when they check in, but
occasionally turn ugly after a few too many shots at the downtown bars.
When they start singing on the balcony, it's time to go.

;-)

Remember, our prime directive is comfort for our guests. If someone
-- paying guest, or not -- is causing a disturbance that interferes
with the prime directive, they are escorted off the property, no
refunds -- and they sign a statement at check-in acknowledging this
policy. It doesn't happen often, but it *does* happen.

If you've EVER had a hotel room next to a party, and called the front
desk to complain, and been told "there's nothing we can do" -- you now
know they were lying to you.

But then, you already knew that, didn't you -- and never went back.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

(A couple's ability or intention to
reproduce together has never been a prerequisite for marriage, nor should it
be.)

hmmm, is that what you think the issue is about?

You're an American version of the Taliban.

Is this going to be a variant of Godwin's law? (in this context I'm thinking
more about the ending of the discussion rather than declaring a "winner").

If you had your way, our legal
system would just be a codification of ancient superstitious prejudices.

A classic technique is to grossly misrepresent someone's views. Too often
people use it in place of reasoned discussion.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 11th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

(A couple's ability or intention to
reproduce together has never been a prerequisite for marriage, nor should
it
be.)

hmmm, is that what you think the issue is about?

It's a commonly cited excuse for opposing same-sex marriage. You haven't
bothered to cite *any* reason for your derogatory characterization, so I was
giving you the benefit of the doubt by speculating that you might have one.
Sorry if I overestimated you.

--Gary