Gliding Experience Helps

Old December 23rd 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gliding Experience Helps

Way to go John!

MG

UFO wrote:
My experience since the Cessna land out has been culturally
enlightening.
Each news organization has its own style of handling the presentation
of the news which affected the accuracy of the reporting. Even the
type media seemed to effect the accuracy. My conclusion is that radio
is more accurate than video because verbal statements aren't edited
the same way video is. In audio transcripts it's harder to make cuts
mid stream.
It seems producing news is like producing a product which can be used
to entertain the masses. There is motivation to hype the factors
involved in the production of the report to make it juicer.

Chanel 4 did a pre-interview of me in which the VJ talked of a
suspected fuel leak. I never mentioned any thing about a fuel leak.
There was no fuel leak. Because this pre interview was done without me
present I was not aware that a fuel leak was being bandied about as a
factor involved until I saw the piece on TV.

john Sullivan UFO

Old December 24th 05, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Scott wrote:
My wife was reading about this. She could see the SUV driver flipping you
off, I think she said "What does he expect, the key to the city".

Sorry, but i thought her reaction was sort of funny....

There was some video clip running around the net a while back of an
airliner (DC-10?) landing on some freeway (presumably the 405 in Los
Angeles). I seem to recall there was a missing nosewheel, so when they
set it down safely, they were closer to the ground. This enabled them
to see somebody's (great) grandma driving by in a '72 sedan, giving
them "the bird" with a disgruntled look on her face.

Typical fare for L.A., yes. Had you landed the Cessna on the freeway
in L.A., you likely would have been shot at!

FWIW, a couple of banner tow aircraft (Stinson, C-152-180) have landed
on the L.A. Freeways in the last couple of years without "aircraft
damage," no telling what happened between motorists and their
therapists in the backups that ensued.

Glad to hear you landed safely, John. Very good write up, too: thanks
for sharing.

Having landed on the road to Cherry Patch Ranch, and pulling my 1-26
off the road in front of a school bus, I can identify with your
story...especially the STOP sign that looked 75 feet high when I was on
short "final."

-Pete

Old December 24th 05, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

309 wrote:
There was some video clip running around the net a while back of an
airliner (DC-10?) landing on some freeway (presumably the 405 in Los
Angeles).

You mean "405: the movie". It's a minor classic: here's a link:

http://www.405themovie.com/

Considering how long ago it was made, I think its an amazing and funny
bit of work.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old December 30th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

THERE IS A LARGE STATUE OF APPA IN LITHOANIA SOMEWERE... HOME OF THE
LAK.

Old December 30th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 30th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 30th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 30th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 31st 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 31st 05, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

UFO wrote:
THERE IS A LARGE STATUE OF APPA IN LITHOANIA SOMEWERE... HOME OF THE
LAK.

Boy, that's some finger stutter you've got (either that of an automatic
newsgun in burst mode). The Zappa statue is pretty well known round
alt.fan.frank-zappa. Check it out:

http://www.sofa.demon.nl/eng/ZVilnius.htm

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie