adventures with FAA medical

Old February 16th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default adventures with FAA medical

Got two more years on my Class III medical in December. Now I get a
letter from the FAA asking for more information about blood pressure
readings, meds, etc. Of course I'd provided all requested information
to the aero-med guy in December; evidently he didn't forward it, or
didn't know he was supposed to. (I thought the aero-med folks just
used their discretion!)I am supposed to respond within 30 days.

I faxed the letter to the aero-med doc, and he called back and asked
further questions (did I smoke; what did my parents die of, etc) and
said he'd take care of it.

Now should I:

1) assume that he is indeed taking care of it (he's a pilot; aero-med
work is now his only practice, which he pursues part time in
retirement; he's been my flight surgeon for six years)?

2) write a collateral letter to the FAA on my own account?

Thanks!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old February 16th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Suggest you contact the AOPA medical department and get
their professional advice. I would not depend on the AME
[your doctor] to know or follow up with all the details
requested without guidance.

Failing to have a reply in to the FA within the 30 days can
be assumed to be your formal dropping of the issue and
result in loss of the medical certificate. The information
provided on the medical application and the results of the
examination is what prompted the request for more details.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old February 16th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I second the recommendation to talk to AOPA. They can be a decent
resource, based on my experience.

If you have high BP, and especially if you are taking meds for it, the
FAA has a protocol for evaluation. It involves getting the AME to
clear you based on information from your physician.

Here is the specific protocol your AME and doctor have to follow:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ia/pro_htn.pdf

Here's a shorter link to it in case you have trouble with the above:

http://tinyurl.com/avj2y

I believe that you can still be considered for a special issuance if,
for instance, you are taking meds that disqualify you under the
standard protocol. See this:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...sion/index.cfm

Hope this is helpful.

Wiz

Old February 17th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sounds like the medical at American. Of course we never smoked, and
our parents (now in their 100's) are alive and well. That always
bugged me "so your grandfather died at age 92, what of?"
Follow up with your AME and ALPA (AOPA) since nobody cares about your
medical more than yourself.

Bush

Old February 17th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 16 Feb 2006 05:54:35 -0800, "Wiz" wrote:

Here is the specific protocol your AME and doctor have to follow:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ia/pro_htn.pdf

Crikey, we've never done any of that. (The irritating thing is that
nothing has changed since I first began flying. Indeed, my blood
pressure is lower now than it was then, since I am taking a different
-- FAA approved -- med.)

When I got my last medical in 2002, the FAA sent me a letter
specifying that I must have a serum potassium reading in addition to
the usual stuff (three BP readings etc), all of which was duly
provided.

If I'd known this would backfire, I'd have skipped the dang thang and
gone to a Sport Pilot ticket.

Thanks to all who responded.

Old February 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Don't despair, Cub Driver. The protocol is not as bad as it sounds. I
had to do it. No heart disease, but inherited mild hypertension. MD
had the ECG and basic blood work from my physical earlier in the the
year. He asked questions about my family history, and took my blood
pressure a few times over a couple of weeks. He wrote a report and
that was that. I listed the protocol items for him for easier
reference.

Keep at it.

Wiz