Navdata currency question

Old February 6th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Navdata currency question

Hello,

I have to make an IFR flight on or about the 15th of february. My plane
has a garmin GNS430 in it, and the navdata is several years out-of-date.
The GPS is also reporting navdata errors, so I need to get a new card. I'm
going to buy a Jepp one-time update.

The current Jepp cycle expires the 17th and the next card becomes
effective the 18th. My question is -- can I buy the newer card (which
becomes effective the 18th) and use it on the 15th, BEFORE the effective
date on the card.

I've looked around, but I haven't found any info on whether you can use
navdata before the effective-date.

Thanks.

Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader:
.... http://www.sb-software.com/android
Old February 6th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Check the Jeppesen web site for info on the Garmin cards. They address this
question and a lot of others.

Old February 6th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have to make an IFR flight on or about the 15th of february. My plane
has a garmin GNS430 in it, and the navdata is several years out-of-date.
The GPS is also reporting navdata errors, so I need to get a new card. I'm
going to buy a Jepp one-time update.

The current Jepp cycle expires the 17th and the next card becomes
effective the 18th. My question is -- can I buy the newer card (which
becomes effective the 18th) and use it on the 15th, BEFORE the effective
date on the card.

This has been discussed here before. Many folks have been putting cards in
that are not yet reached their effective date and I don't think anyone
reported seeing any issues. However, it *is* possible that a fix and/or an
approach will have changed between cycles to cause an issue. If the trip
will not span across the effective date, then I'd probably use the current
cycle so you'll be "legal" for the trip. Are you planning on making another
IFR trip in the 28 days after this trip?

With the Garmin 430, you'll have the VOR and localizer-based nav capability
available in case you do use the future cycle and do see an error. Just make
sure you are ready to switch over from GPS in the event of an error.

Good Luck,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:

The current Jepp cycle expires the 17th and the next card becomes
effective the 18th. My question is -- can I buy the newer card (which
becomes effective the 18th) and use it on the 15th, BEFORE the effective
date on the card.

Regarding Jepp charts and GNS x30 database subscriptions, I have learned
that any approach procedures that changed with that upcoming cycle and have
an effective date greater than the date the database and paper charts are
released will have the effective date printed on the approach plate itself.
Thus, if you have the paper charts in front of you, you can quickly
determine what is and what will be effective.

A little bit of pre-flight planning should provide you with the answers to
what you can rely on immediately from the database itself.

--
Peter

Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 08:22 AM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM