Radio Removal

Old March 19th 04, 05:18 PM
MRQB

Default Radio Removal

Hello, i would like to know how to remove the Cessna ARC NAV/COM 300 radio
out of my 150? Ware are the screws bolts ect located? So I can take it in to
be serviced or replaced it with a slide in replacement. I here it is simple
to remove it, is it?

Old March 20th 04, 03:27 AM
Kyle Boatright

In general there will be a hole in the face of the radio where you insert an
allen wrench. Turn the screw clockwise to release the radio.

Old March 20th 04, 03:53 AM
Aaron Coolidge

MRQB wrote:
: Hello, i would like to know how to remove the Cessna ARC NAV/COM 300 radio
: out of my 150? Ware are the screws bolts ect located? So I can take it in to
: be serviced or replaced it with a slide in replacement. I here it is simple
: to remove it, is it?

There's a small hole in the bottom center of the radio. You need a regular
screwdriver 1/16" wide by 12" long to reach the screw which is in the very
back of the radio. Unscrew the screw and pull the radio out of the dash.

More modern radios use a hex key (Allen wrench), and it does not have to be
as long as the ARC radios require.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

Old March 20th 04, 01:46 PM
Jay Honeck

In general there will be a hole in the face of the radio where you insert
an
allen wrench. Turn the screw clockwise to release the radio.

On my radios I've turned them counter-clockwise to release them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 20th 04, 05:01 PM
SD

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:53:10 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Coolidge
wrote:

MRQB wrote:
: Hello, i would like to know how to remove the Cessna ARC NAV/COM 300 radio
: out of my 150? Ware are the screws bolts ect located? So I can take it in to
: be serviced or replaced it with a slide in replacement. I here it is simple
: to remove it, is it?

There's a small hole in the bottom center of the radio. You need a regular
screwdriver 1/16" wide by 12" long to reach the screw which is in the very
back of the radio. Unscrew the screw and pull the radio out of the dash.

More modern radios use a hex key (Allen wrench), and it does not have to be
as long as the ARC radios require.

We just had to take one of these radios out of a plane the other day
and instead of buying a screwdriver that would fit in that hole, we
took a coat hanger, cut about 10 inches of it. Bent about an inch
over to act as the handle and on the other end, put it in a vice to
flatten it so that it would fit into the slot of the screw. Worked
perfect!

SD

Old March 20th 04, 07:57 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In general there will be a hole in the face of the radio where you

insert
an
allen wrench. Turn the screw clockwise to release the radio.

On my radios I've turned them counter-clockwise to release them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Absolutely correct. Amazing that the fingers don't always type what the
mind intends..

Old March 20th 04, 10:43 PM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:57:25 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In general there will be a hole in the face of the radio where you

insert
an
allen wrench. Turn the screw clockwise to release the radio.

On my radios I've turned them counter-clockwise to release them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Absolutely correct. Amazing that the fingers don't always type what the
mind intends..

There's another setup where you have to poke down the hole with a
long rod and push to disengage a spring latch. I can't remember what
that was on -- an audio panel, maybe?

Don
Old March 21st 04, 12:03 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Don Tuite wrote:

There's another setup where you have to poke down the hole with a
long rod and push to disengage a spring latch. I can't remember what
that was on -- an audio panel, maybe?

NARCO Mk12-D. One catch on each side, so you need two rods.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 21st 04, 06:20 AM
MRQB

I found the screw it was right in the center lower part of the radio below
ware it said RT 308 it was not deep inside it was really close to the
surface unless it was the wrong screw I turned it it did nothing it would
just spin either direction there was a really smaller hole next to it. Is it
broken? or was i on the wrong screw?

Old March 21st 04, 01:52 PM
Jay Honeck

I found the screw it was right in the center lower part of the radio below
ware it said RT 308 it was not deep inside it was really close to the
surface unless it was the wrong screw I turned it it did nothing it would
just spin either direction there was a really smaller hole next to it. Is

it
broken? or was i on the wrong screw?

Are you sure it's a screw you're trying to turn? Our radios require an
allen wrench to remove.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA