USMC Huey Crash Photos

Old June 10th 04, 08:17 PM
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak

Default USMC Huey Crash Photos

Hey All,

I just came across these photos and am curious if anyone knows the story of
what happened. Weather sure looks clear so I doubt that had anything to do
with it...

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...75&size=medium

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...67&size=medium

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...74&size=medium

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...73&size=medium

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...76&size=medium

Sure looks like a ****ty situation to me but I don't recall hearing of this
crash...

-Mike

Old June 11th 04, 12:48 AM
Sal

Weather looks clear, huh? What planet do you call your home?
Having seen a few...that's a tail low landing.

Old June 11th 04, 12:57 AM
Larry

"Mike "Rotor" Nowak" strained himself to utter the words: "Weather sure
looks clear so I doubt that had anything to do
with it..."

Uhm, Excuse me? The weather can 'clear' faster than the smoke can dissipate.

With no indication how long after the crash this pic was taken, I'd say the
'current' weather in the photo has NO relation to the weather during the
crash.

My 2 cents.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!

Old June 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Sal" wrote in
:

Weather looks clear, huh? What planet do you call your home?

These weren't taken by the Mars Rover? ;-)

Having seen a few...that's a tail low landing.

Understand, I haven't seen any, so I'm asking for clarification, and
not challenging you on this, but could you explain more?

I understand a tail strike, and deflecting the main rotor into the
tailboom. And this fits with the pitch of the blades on both rotors (though
in an accident situation this isn't indicative of anything). But both skids
being sprung and the noticeable forward motion, apparently following the
gear collapse, seems like an awfully hard contact even for someone coming
in with a heavy flare. Am I misinterpreting things?

Potentially, I guess I could see it if he was coming in damn fast and
flared to arrest the forward motion, too low to safely do so. But I would
hope this wasn't the case, since that strikes me as a needlessly reckless
approach. I'm open to correction.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain
Old June 11th 04, 02:50 AM
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak

One more,

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...68&size=medium

I was being sarcastic about the wx.. it looks like these pics were fairly
recent after the crash, with no calvary there ot help things out -- plus, in
the above pic, it looks like they're disconnecting the batt, something I
doubt they'd wait long after the crash to do...

From what the thing looks like, I'd agree that it was a tail chop job... but
I'm interested in the story behind what happened. They pulled the equipment
out, the door guns look to have been pulled, and I can even see a permiter
being established in some of the pics, which leads me to believe it's behind
the lines. Just curious what happened.

-Mike

Old June 11th 04, 04:09 AM
Bob

My opinion saying tail low landing was drawn from these parameters:

A) No apparent MRB Damages from possibly hitting the tailboom

B) No apparent damage to tail rotor blades as from strikin the ground under
power (tial rotors stop pretty damned fast when the T/R driveshaft is
sheared and probably jammed.

C) The angle of the sheared off tailboom appears to be from a forward motion
of the aircraft and a groumd strike causing that angular appearance.

I don't know that bird, but the stinger looks more like a car antenna as if
maybe a bit is missing to be found further behind.
I'm supposing after 20 yars of heavy helicopter maintenance. All my
bull**** and a quarter will buy me a phone call.

Old June 11th 04, 05:21 PM
AnyBody43

"Bob" wrote in message . ..
My opinion saying tail low landing was drawn from these parameters:

A) No apparent MRB Damages from possibly hitting the tailboom

B) No apparent damage to tail rotor blades as from strikin the ground under
power (tial rotors stop pretty damned fast when the T/R driveshaft is
sheared and probably jammed.

C) The angle of the sheared off tailboom appears to be from a forward motion
of the aircraft and a groumd strike causing that angular appearance.

I don't know that bird, but the stinger looks more like a car antenna as if
maybe a bit is missing to be found further behind.
I'm supposing after 20 yars of heavy helicopter maintenance. All my
bull**** and a quarter will buy me a phone call.

Hi,
I have little or no knowledge of helicopters however I do have a
ruler. When looking at:
http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...hp?id=00059374
if I put my ruler along the snapped off tail it passes right
through the rotor head. Maybe it is a coincidence but I
am pretty convinced that the tail was chopped off by the rotor.

The cut is also VERY clean.
Is that the tail rotor shaft on the ground under the tail cone?

Finally, does:
http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...hp?id=00059373
show the tail cut off in the direction of the rotor rotation.

I seem to recall stories of Hueys chopping trees with the rotor. The
tail cone seems unlikely to be tougher than even quite a small tree.
Old June 12th 04, 06:31 AM
Hawkdoc

Mike, I'm glad to see you know something about perimeter security and
aircraft recovery or even a UH-1. These pictures look like they were taken
by the DART team (Downed Aircraft Recovery Team). Perimeter security is
pulled even on aircraft crashes in the states to keep site seers and
vultures from contaminating the site. And isn't almost anyplace off base
still Indian country? Most battery's were upgraded to the AH-1's and
relocated to the tailboom for weight and balance. Notice no big battery
disconnect? What your seeing is Nav, COMSEC and commo gear in the nose. The
fact that the Marines are standing on the Boom to allow the inspection of
the nose and the fact the CPG's green house is missing a huge chunk might
indicate battle damage. Also, it appears that both counter measures pods
have been used. What strikes me as odd are that both skid gear are on the
left side next to the fuselage and the unusual dent pattern on the top of
the skid under the aircraft. You will notice what appear to be skid marks
at an angle to the aircraft. But, the oddest part is that taliboom is off
to the side and in front of the aircraft. The blades show no strike damage
from the boom or the ground. Possibly due to the fact tail rotor wasn't
turning when it landed where it is in the picture, which might suggest it
wasn't turning on impact, there is no torn up ground. I'm guessing either
tail rotor or tail shaft failure. Or possibly they hit the boom on one of
the nearby bearms (notice the dent on the boom in front of the separation).
This wasn't a low tail, high nose impact evident by the fact the tail
stinger is not bent. But, hey I wasn't there what do I know? I just hope
and pray that the crew and pax walked away to **** and bleed and hoist a
cold one to one more landing.

James Wilson
Former DART Team leader, TI OH-58 A/C, KW, AH-1S/E/F, UH-1D, UH-60A/L

One more,

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...68&size=medium

I was being sarcastic about the wx.. it looks like these pics were fairly
recent after the crash, with no calvary there ot help things out -- plus,

in
the above pic, it looks like they're disconnecting the batt, something I
doubt they'd wait long after the crash to do...

From what the thing looks like, I'd agree that it was a tail chop job...

but

Old June 12th 04, 05:21 PM
Micbloo

Subject: USMC Huey Crash

Just curious what happened.

Then e-mail the photographer who is listed at the bottom.
Old June 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
Griffin 704

If I'm not mistaken these are photos of UH-1N from HMLA-169 that
crashed at Jalibah FARP on 30 Mar 2003, killing the pilot Capt. Aaron
J. Contreras, Crew Chief Sgt. Michael V. Lalush and Sgt. Brian D.
McGinnis.

The second photo you will see on the nose just above the pilots chin
bubble, "Crew Chief M. Lalush". The A/C crashed on takeoff.