Marfa 2004 Spring Thermal & Wave Camp Report

Old April 13th 04, 02:19 AM
Dick Johnson

Default Marfa 2004 Spring Thermal & Wave Camp Report

24 sailplanes and their pilots and crews participated in this year's
Marfa Texas Soaring Camp. Luckily we were blessed with good soaring
conditions during 6 of the Camp's 8 planned flying days. Spring comes
early to the Big Bend area of west Texas, and we had great thermals
during each of the 6 flying days. The pilots flew from 4 to 6 hours
each of those days, usually landing only after they had had their fill
of great soaring fun. The strong west Texas sun did not set until
after 8 PM, and the thermals refused to die there much before that
time.
Each day we encountered 400 to 800 ft/min thermals and climbs to
8,000 to 12,000 foot MSL cloud bases. During 2 of those days we
encountered cloud induced smooth waves on the cumulus clouds' windward
sides that took some of us to about 14,000 ft. Many pilots flew their
first cross-country flights of the year. Rolf Siebert attained the
longest with a 425 km flight via Van Horn, 67 miles to the NW of
Marfa.
Finally, during the 6th day of the Camp the winds were right to
produce true mountain-induced orographic waves above the temperature
inversion level. Many of the pilots achieved Gold C (3km/9840 ft)
climbs that day with Dave Raspet beating us all with a great climb to
21,600 ft MSL near Ft. Davis.
The Marfa area is unique in that it is situated to the SW of the 8378
foot high Mt. Livermore peak in the Davis Mountains. Those mountains
protect it from the prevalent spring thunderstorms that often arrive
from the north during this time of year. During the first night of the
Camp a severe rain-storm washed out a major bridge on Interstate 20,
just 70 miles north of Marfa. We received only about 1 or 2 tenth of
an inch of rain at Marfa that night.
A number of pilots who had planned to attend this year's Camp
cancelled because they believed the bad weather reports for that area,
and that was disappointing for everyone. Even Bob Dittert flying his
L-19 towplane in from the east was delayed for 2 days because of the
bad weather over the mountains. Luckily for us, Scratch Lee
anticipated the approaching storms and flew his great Agwagon towplane
into Marfa a day early. Also fortunate for our Camp, Burt Compton had
recently built a large hanger at the Marfa Airport and established a
permanent new business there named Marfa Gliders. His 180 hp Cessna
150 towplane handily assisted our towing needs before Bob Dittert
arrived.

Dick Johnson – Dallas, TX