A-4 today

Old September 10th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

Default A-4 today

I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable. With a good mix of
fuel tanks and underwing missiles I could see the A-4 giving the New
Zealanders a good quick-reaction capability over a very good range.

Are the Kiwis planning to replace the A-4 with a new attack jet type
due to expense and maintenance or are they just making the decision
they don't need that type of craft for their defensive needs?

At any rate A-4s being used as aggressors for training today is still
pretty cool after about 50 or so years of Skyhawk service.

David
Old September 10th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

On Sep 10, 3:28*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable. With a good mix of
fuel tanks and underwing missiles I could see the A-4 giving the New
Zealanders a good quick-reaction capability over a very good range.

Are the Kiwis planning to replace the A-4 with a new attack jet type
due to expense and maintenance or are they just making the decision
they don't need that type of craft for their defensive needs?

At any rate A-4s being used as aggressors for training today is still
pretty cool after about 50 or so years of Skyhawk service.

With the disposal of the A-4s and the Aermacchis, the RNZAF would
appear to have gone from an air force to an air service. However,
their Orions and Sea Sprites remain combat-capable. In 2007, I saw
RNZAF personnel working in the Persian Gulf supporting coalition
maritime patrol ops.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 10th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

On Sep 10, 12:28*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable. With a good mix of
fuel tanks and underwing missiles I could see the A-4 giving the New
Zealanders a good quick-reaction capability over a very good range.

"Israeli Phantoms and Skyhawks were armed with the
Gabriel Mk 3, an active radar-seeking variant of the
Israeli developed anti-ship missile. "

Source:

http://www.global-defence.com/2003/anti_ship.htm

David

Old September 11th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

David E. Powell wrote:
I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable. With a good mix of
fuel tanks and underwing missiles I could see the A-4 giving the New
Zealanders a good quick-reaction capability over a very good range.

Are the Kiwis planning to replace the A-4 with a new attack jet type
due to expense and maintenance or are they just making the decision
they don't need that type of craft for their defensive needs?

At any rate A-4s being used as aggressors for training today is still
pretty cool after about 50 or so years of Skyhawk service.

David

New Zealand's Labour government has retired both the A-4's and their
Aermacchi MB-339's as well as canceled an order for F-16's because they
decided to retire all of their combat jets in favor of transport
aircraft. So the country has converted the RNZAF from an air force into
an air freight service.

ALV
Old September 11th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

wrote:

I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable. With a good mix of
fuel tanks and underwing missiles I could see the A-4 giving the New
Zealanders a good quick-reaction capability over a very good range.

"Israeli Phantoms and Skyhawks were armed with the
Gabriel Mk 3, an active radar-seeking variant of the
Israeli developed anti-ship missile. "

Source:

http://www.global-defence.com/2003/anti_ship.htm

OK. That'll make a dent.....

David-

Old September 11th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

wrote:

[...]

The patrol stuff allows crossover to search and rescue as well, and if
they aren't worried about fighters or other modern threats, the
helicopters and Orions can carry missiles and antisub stuff.

I agree it is kind of sad they are phasing out all the fast stuff.
Didn't they have some mutual force plan with Australia a few years
back for their air forces?

Old September 11th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

David E. Powell wrote:
On Sep 10, 3:39 pm, Andrew Chaplin wrote:

I agree it is kind of sad they are phasing out all the fast stuff.
Didn't they have some mutual force plan with Australia a few years
back for their air forces?

--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTIN

While I share your thoughts, NEw Zealand is kinda of in a nice
neighborhood to be in. No natural enemies. Not much worth invading for
(mostly sheep in NZ). Friends with folks with big guns ( US, UK, Aussies).

Old September 12th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
ErrolC

On Sep 11, 7:28*am, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
I was wondeirng, given the NZ government having problems with
Skyhawks, what made them so put off about them? I know they are older,
but the Israelis really modified theirs and they seemed OK with
precision weapons.

Can the A-4 Skyhawk mount Harpoon missiles? If not I would guess that
Penguin or something like that would be doable.

They had been upgraded to use IR Mavericks in the anti-shipping role.
History in RNZAF service
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/skyhawk.html
"The updated installation provides HOTAS and a 'glass' cockpit (2
large CRT screens), new HUD, APG-66 radar aquisition and tracking (as
per the F16), and a ring laser gyro inertial navigation system, as
well as upgraded VOR/ILS equipment and the provision of chaff/flare
dispensers. Parts of the wings were reskinned and some structural
elements rebuilt, and the aircraft wiring replaced. The weapons
capability now includes AIM-9G/L and AGM-65B."

snip

Errol Cavit | Tomb of the Unknown Warrior, NZ
The great pain we feel / Is for you who were our future
Comeback return home, / We have waited for you
Through the long years / You were away
Sorrow / Aches within me

Today in Oshkosh [5/9] - "05 C47 used by Liberty chuters today.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 27th 07 01:49 AM
D.C. anti-war rally on C-SPAN today at 8:15 AM on the west coast of US and at 11:15 AM on east coast - President Carter at Brandeis on C-SPAN 2's 'Book TV' today at 12:30 PM (on the west coast and at 3:30 PM on the east coast): [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 January 27th 07 02:18 PM
FS Today 9 Jacques Vincent Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 07 04:02 PM
last Day today Mal Soaring 0 January 26th 06 11:21 PM
Had WAY too much fun today... Simon Robbins Rotorcraft 2 October 20th 05 10:51 PM