Lightspeed Battery Box Warning

Old July 12th 03, 01:42 PM
john smith

FYI - top posting is the current norm in many Usenet groups, especially the
MS tech support groups where I spend most of my time. With newsreaders like
Outlook Express, some people find embedded responses can be more difficult
to read than the top posts.

Well, there's the problem!
Invoking the MS name and products explains everything.
Garbage in, garbage out.
Old July 12th 03, 03:39 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I'm flying the alleganies in a couple of weeks... Wonder what pucker-up
adventures await...

Denny

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:19:52 GMT, EDR wrote:

The Central PA mountains are another local weather maker which

inhibit
east-west flight. The mountains have claimed many an aircraft and
unwary pilot.

IFR, VFR or doesn't it matter? I was flying IFR over PA yesterday
afternoon at 8,000ft, above a solid layer and was listening to several

VFR
pilots talking to Harrisburg Approach about quickly deteriorating

weather.
A few tried to get pop-up IFR clearances but were temporarily denied,

while
others were doing 180s and trying to find nearby airports in which to

land.
It did not sound pleasant.

Ernie Gann wrote about flying Pennsylvania and the Alleganies during
the DC-2/3 days. Summer, Winter, day and night.

Worst icing I ever experienced was near Williamsport, PA (IPT) when I
picked up so much clear ice in about 5 to 10 minutes my Cherokee was
down to 85 knots at full power, and barely maintaining altitude.

But it's a hell of a lot easier, and safer, than it was when airmail
pilots were flying DH-4s with no navaids, or for that matter, even 50
years ago when there were no VORs or ILS approaches or weather radar.

vince norris

Old July 12th 03, 05:05 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Well said!

"Steve House" wrote in message
Nothing to do with MS as a company nor invoking their name or authority.
Just saying that the abhorrence to top posting is not universally true on
Usenet and in many forums -- serious purpose forums where most of
participants are neither computer nor internet newbies nor technical
incompetents, with the MS technical forums being a case in point (unless

you
consider MS developers, typical MSDN and Technet subscribers, and MS MVPs

be generally incompetent newbies) -- it is the norm rather than the
exception. In most instances a format that resembles an exchange of

letters
or a series of articles by various authors published in successive issues

of
a journal discussing a point is more intelligible than wading through

quoted
text to find the sentences and phrases that are new to the thread with

that
particular message. Leaving the original(s) intact at the bottom allows

for
reference back should the reader desire and allows someone who is newly
arrived on the forum to see the history and context of the reply yet does
not force them to scroll through it looking for the relevant reply text.

It
also allows people who do not keep a message history in their newsreader -
I, for one, purge the newsgroups of downloaded message bodies each time I
exit my reader - to review the history without having to re-download the
message bodies yet consumes minimal time and space. The idea that Usenet
postings should be terse snipits made sense when each character was
relatively expensive to transmit compared to today but that's no longer

the
case.

Another point to consider regarding deleting quoted text - take a look at
your quoted message below. You have deleted the header information that
would normally appear about the first line (the line beginning "FYI")
showing that those lines originated with a message by me and as a result

it
appears that the thoughts in the top 4 lines that you are critiquing
originated with yourself. Which is clearer as to who said what - my

leaving
your header in or your taking my header out in order to save space? Top
posting with your remarks, leaving at least the quoted message to which

you
are replying, if not the entire thread, intact at the bottom makes

correct
attribution of who said what on the part of other readers much clearer.

Old July 12th 03, 09:16 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Someone told me they have aerobatics displays and stuff at the show - is
that true?

You're kidding, right Dan?

Uh, yes, Jay. Take a nap; you've been manning the front desk too long.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 13th 03, 03:12 AM
vincent p. norris

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:39:36 -0400, "Dennis O'Connor"
wrote:

I'm flying the alleganies in a couple of weeks... Wonder what pucker-up
adventures await...

Denny

Well, a great many of us do it every day, so it's not a death
sentence. The scenery is beautiful.

If you're a flatlander, keep in mind that the airports are in the
valleys, so a ceiling reported as 1200 feet means there's only about
200 feet clearance over the tops of the ridges.

And if the wind is NW at 15 knots or more, it will be bumpy.

vinced norris