Celebrity Pilots

Old February 26th 05, 03:53 AM
Matt Barrow

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message
Ho Hum.

The following sentence is copied from DOT/FAA/AM-02/6 (Page 4):

From a media release on http://apo.faa.gov/

From:http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/IFIM/ifimfaqa086.htm:

And, http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1035

...still another FAA document http://www.faa.gov/apa/PR/pr.cfm?id=604:

Irrelevnt arguments. A list of citations written by non-aviators [PR

flacks
and medical folk], and targeted for the most part at other non-aviators.

If
you feel more linguistically comfortable as part of that group, by all

means
carry on.

Sounds like you got stuck with your foot in your mouth and are now playing
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.".

Old February 26th 05, 06:34 AM
Some Guy

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Sounds like you got stuck with your foot in your mouth

Think whatever you'd like, Matt, but then look in your wallet or in a
dresser drawer. I have numerous pieces of paper accumulated over the years.
One says "Commonwealth of Massachusetts Driver's License"; another
"Massachusetts License - Construction Supervisor"; yet another is issued by
th Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure of Real
Estate Appraisers. But the one from the FAA (including all the old ones
superceded by each successive new issue) has not one example of the word
'license', in any form, front or back. It simply says "This certifies that
so and so has been found to be properly qualified to exercise the privileges
of Airline Transport Pilot Certificate No. xxxx....", etc., etc., with an
issue date I can remember like yesterday, although kids born on that day are
now earning their living flying airplanes. Now, maybe they've changed
things since I stopped flying a few years ago, so check yours out, and let
me, us all, know if what you carry in your wallet says that it is a license
rather than a certificate.

Old April 29th 05, 09:56 PM
gatt

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Hmm. One would have to work around his later days as a pilot, though.

Why? All the media speculation that he was drunk while flying turned out

be false, as were stories of his certificate having been suspended or
revoked.

I have a question about that. I've removed his name from the thread, and I
know people who knew him personally and had him as a dinner guest at their
house on more than one occasion. The guy had a rap sheet of DUIIs in
Colorado. Wouldn't the FAA normally review or yank somebody's ticket based
on that?

I understand in his case that they did not.

They may have, for "psychological" reasons, for an exceptionally
high-profile aerobatic pilot whose name I will not mention. Folks who knew
him personally, however, said the guy is/was a prodigeous drinker. I
always wonder if that was the real reason the FAA pulled his ticket.

=c

Old April 30th 05, 07:52 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
I sure wouldn't count George W. as a pilot. I'm sure that there are
thousands of ex-military pilots who are no longer in the pilot
community...they never converted to civil airman status.

George W. does have a FAA certificate, as does his father. I doubt that
either of them have held valid medicals for years.

Lots of famous folks have certificates, many have valid medicals, but
its even more difficult to determine how many of those famous (or
wealthy) folks are aviation enthusiasts. I would think that a Celebrity
theme suite, as Jay expressed interest in, would benefit most from those
who are truly enthusiasts, as opposed to those who hold certificate to
get from point A to B.

JKG
Old April 30th 05, 08:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message

George W. does have a FAA certificate, as does his father.

How do you know that? They don't appear in the airmen database.

Old May 1st 05, 08:17 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message

George W. does have a FAA certificate, as does his father.

How do you know that? They don't appear in the airmen database.

They appeared in the one at registry.faa.gov the last time I looked,
which was right before I posted. I thought that I had seen them in
there in the past, so that's why I looked again.

JKG
Old May 1st 05, 09:03 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

Depends on where you look. Here's a personal example. I showed up in both
Landings and the FAA databases when I had a 3rd Class/Student. When I got
my PPL, I showed up in the FAA database but not in Landings anymore and
still don't.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

Old May 1st 05, 09:59 PM
Dave Stadt

"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote in message
t...
Depends on where you look. Here's a personal example. I showed up in

both
Landings and the FAA databases when I had a 3rd Class/Student. When I got
my PPL, I showed up in the FAA database but not in Landings anymore and
still don't.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

Databases are only as accurate as those maintaining them. Seldom is 100%
accuracy obtainable or desirable.

Old May 1st 05, 10:24 PM
William W. Plummer

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:
Depends on where you look. Here's a personal example. I showed up in both
Landings and the FAA databases when I had a 3rd Class/Student. When I got
my PPL, I showed up in the FAA database but not in Landings anymore and
still don't.

Your must chase database inaccuracies. About 4 years ago I had renewed
my medical certificate and 6 months after, decided to check. I wasn't
listed! Later I found many people seem to have the same problem. The
FAA apparently requires both a medical certificate PPL to list you in
the Airmen Database.

After much phoning and messaging, I found somebody that said my medical
had "pending" on it but nobody knew what that meant. So I call the AME
and he didn't understand but said he would re-send the his info (no
charge). A few months later it all cleared up.
Old May 2nd 05, 02:10 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote:

Depends on where you look. Here's a personal example. I showed up in both
Landings and the FAA databases when I had a 3rd Class/Student. When I got
my PPL, I showed up in the FAA database but not in Landings anymore and
still don't.

As far as I know, the FAA database is the only one that matters. It
appears to be up to date and appears to contain an accurate reflection
of the FAA's certificate records.

Databases from Landings or other aviation sites may or may not be up to
date, depending on who maintains them. I have never seen one as current
or as accurate as the FAA database, which would seem to make sense.

One thing that I have noticed about third-party database searches is
that they often do not show a person if the person doesn't hold a valid
medical. The FAA database shows folks whether or not they hold a valid
medical.

JKG