Airstrip on the property

Old December 11th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Airstrip on the property

These planes I like such as the Arion lightning and
the LSA SportCruiser show take-off and landing rolls
in the 500 ft range. I have to imagine this, while
technically may be true, is for advertising purposes.

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

Living in America
---
Mark
Old December 11th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeffrey Bloss

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:31:18 -0800 (PST), Mark wrote:

These planes I like such as the Arion lightning

Make sure you let me know when you are going to Middle Tennessee, I got
a couple of partners across the state line a shade south of there that
would luv to "meet you".

Duh ya' ****ing think?

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

Living in America
---
Mark

**** no but you would. Btw, DoofusCakes, best get humpin' on the FAA
factor.
--
_?_ Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
(@ @) Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old December 11th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Dec 11, 11:31*am, Mark wrote:
These planes I like such as the Arion lightning and
the LSA SportCruiser show take-off and landing rolls
in the 500 ft range. I have to imagine this, while
technically may be true, is for advertising purposes.

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

Living in America
---
Mark

I found this to be helpful and interesting with
regard to the topic-

http://living.privateislandsonline.c...e-airstrip.htm

---
Mark
Old December 11th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeffrey Bloss

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:55:59 -0800 (PST), Mark wrote:

I found this to be helpful and interesting with
regard to the topic-

Good luck getting your apartment manager to OK your landing strip.

Nutcase. lol
Old December 11th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Mark" wrote in message
These planes I like such as the Arion lightning and
the LSA SportCruiser show take-off and landing rolls
in the 500 ft range. I have to imagine this, while
technically may be true, is for advertising purposes.

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

Living in America
---
Mark

First of all, let's start with the presumption that we are talking about a
location where a 1100' airstrip would be appropriate and permissible.

In that case, there are plenty of older designs that qualify for LSA use, in
addition to the many currently marketed specifically as LSA and ELSA, that
are perfect for the application. However, even if the runway is paved, the
approach and departure are over a lake or valley, and there are no
obstructions; the two that you mentioned might be a poor choice for all but
the most dilligent and highly skilled pilots--and the Cessna 172 would be
ridiculous!

Basically, if you need to operate to and from a short airstrip, then you
will trade away cruising speed (and usually cruising fuel economy) in order
to accomplish the mission.

You just have to determine your own mission statement, and then define
"performance" in terms of the mission.

Peter

Old December 11th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Dec 11, 2:08*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Peter. You know, sometimes you just want to make
something fit that you know doesn't, but you have to hear it
from someone else. I've seen plenty of STOL footage that would
work fine here, but like you said, depends on the mission.

--
Mark (looking for more acreage now)
Old December 12th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
Mark wrote:

These planes I like such as the Arion lightning and
the LSA SportCruiser show take-off and landing rolls
in the 500 ft range. I have to imagine this, while
technically may be true, is for advertising purposes.

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

A quick survey of my local sectional shows a great number of 1500-1800ft
private strips around where I fly. Not quite 1100ft, but in the same
neighborhood.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 12th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neville MADDEN

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

A quick survey of my local sectional shows a great number of 1500-1800ft
private strips around where I fly. Not quite 1100ft, but in the same
neighborhood.

2400ft used to be the minimum for light aircraft to comply with DCA
(Australia) Regs

Neville
Old December 14th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:31:18 -0800 (PST), Mark wrote:

These planes I like such as the Arion lightning and
the LSA SportCruiser show take-off and landing rolls
in the 500 ft range. I have to imagine this, while
technically may be true, is for advertising purposes.

I mean, would you put an airstrip in your yard
with only 1100 ft, even without a 50 ft obstruction
for say...a Cessna 172 or a fast light sport plane?

Living in America
---
Mark

I don't believe you will get any insurance company to allow that short
of a strip, most of the ones I have seen are self-insured. Expect to get
a humongous lawsuit thrown at you if you miss T/O or LND and find
yourself in someone's else's yard.