vfr corridor

Old December 12th 03, 03:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Peter R." wrote:

George, have you ever flown up the East River?

Nope.

I have enjoyed the Hudson
river VFR corridor a few times over the last year, but I have not explored
the other side. It looks to me that there really isn't one there (with La
Guardia at the north end), from what I remember of the terminal chart.

You're correct that you can't get all the way around the island. The exclusion
there is primarily for the benefit of planes using the East River seaplane base.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 12th 03, 03:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Peter R." wrote:

Where is the northern turn-around point?

There's a long island in the river. The lower end lies about even with the
lower end of Central Park. La Guardia airspace goes to the surface close to the
upper end of this island. You have to turn before you get to the end of the
island. That point is downstream from Spyten Dyvil. The last time I went past
the island, I was in a boat, and it was many years ago, but, at that time it
was basically uninhabited.

I imagine that the north end is
capped due to La Guardia's airspace, correct?

Yep.

Oh, and what's the upper
altitude limit? 1,100 feet, too?

Yep.

Old December 12th 03, 04:05 PM
Guy Elden Jr.

I find that it's much easier to get flight following once you get further
away from the primary sectors. Over northern NJ, that'd be 119.2 for
departure and 127.6 for arrival. Whenever I fly IFR out of CDW, those two
freqs are usually the busiest... after handoff to the next sector, things
calm down considerably, and I hear people requesting, and getting, flight
following all the time.

As for the East River corridor, thanks to whomever asked about that
particular segment... I've never done it either, and was curious also as to
where the northern turn around point would be. Sounds like it'd be doable in
a 172 with a steep turn, but I'll probably wait and do it with an instructor
in the plane first before trying it by myself.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

"john price" wrote in message
In the NYC area, it depends on what sector you're in and how
busy it is... If they're not busy, they'll usually deal with you...

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

"Hankal" wrote in message
Nope. It's recommended that you listen in and announce position on the

common
frequencies, however. That's 123.075 for the East River and 123.05 for

the
Hudson.

I have never flown in Washington DC, NY airspace. I fly out of SE

Florida.
How tough is it to get flight following in that airspace.
Even here ( Miami-Orlando) they will not give you flight following when

they
are busy. For long trips I usually file IFR.
Hank

Old December 12th 03, 04:13 PM
Peter R.

G.R. Patterson III ) wrote:

There's a long island in the river.

snip

Thanks, George.

--
Peter

Old December 12th 03, 05:25 PM
Rosspilot

The exclusion
there is primarily for the benefit of planes using the East River seaplane
base.

and the numerous helicopter operations

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 12th 03, 05:29 PM
Rosspilot

The island is Roosevelt Island, and it is best to turn around before you get to
the south tip.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 14th 03, 05:46 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

Just took a flight today with two friends in the school's 172S from CDW -
44N (Sky Acres) for lunch, then on the way back, checked off another item on
my to-do list of cool things to try as a pilot. . .

Climbed out of 44N at a good 800 - 1000 fpm ... gotta love that winter air.
Leveled off at 8,500 feet, heading south. About 1,500 feet I could already
make out the buildings of Manhattan, from over 50 nm away... talk about your
picture perfect day! (Save for the clouds that were obscuring the rapidly
descending sun).

As we passed Dutchess Co, I called up and got flight following, then advised
the controller that I'd be flying south on the east side of the city to the
Verrazano Bridge, then requesting to transition the Class B direct to
Caldwell. He seemed to go along with that plan, and we got a few traffic
calls of Airbusses climbing out of La Guardia as we neared the city. It was
really, really a spectacular view from up there. Simultaneously, I was
watching the lineup of traffic heading into LGA runway 4, while JFK was
running arrivals into 31 (couldn't tell if it was L or R tho). My two
friends were glued to the windows on the right side of the plane as we
cruised south. You could easily see all of the bridges along the Hudson and
East rivers at once, from the Tappan Zee down to the Verrazano, and if you
looked east, you could just about make out the end of Long Island. All of
this, while trying to take in the whole of Manhattan as we slid past with
relative ease, all of the heavies safely below us and turning out well
before crossing our altitude.

The icing on the cake tho came when we got to the Verrazano. I requested
direct CDW and to transition Class B, and was immediately cleared in with a
descent to 6,500 and direct CDW. This put us on a perfect turn to round the
tip of Manhattan directly over the bridge, and then start our way up the
Hudson river side of the city. As I leveled off at 6,500, I noticed the
queue of departures waiting on the taxiway at Newark for 22L. They were
departing at a good pace, probably one every 45 seconds. We were handed over
to "Newark" departure (a term I hadn't heard til today), and I noticed that
that controller was a bit busier. He was still able to handle us very well
though, with just a small vector more northward, which again, put us in an
even better position to view the city from along the Hudson.

A few minutes later we were cleared down to 2,500, and as we descended
through 3,000, radar services were terminated, I contacted CDW, and was
cleared for a straight-in on 27 behind one more arrival. Picture perfect
landing to an absolutely picture perfect flight. I will _definitely_ be
doing this one again!

p.s... when we arrived at CDW around noon today (before the flights), there
were, I kid you not, _12_ planes queued up on the taxiway waiting to depart.
All GA. I've never seen that many GA planes in a line at any airport before.
The tower told all the touch and go traffic to land or go elsewhere for a
while so they could clear out the traffic, but my oh my, I think that gave
me a taste of what to expect if I make it out to Oshkosh this year! :-)

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old December 14th 03, 10:07 AM
Morgans

"Guy Elden Jr." wrote

doing this one again!

p.s... when we arrived at CDW around noon today (before the flights),

there
were, I kid you not, _12_ planes queued up on the taxiway waiting to

depart.
All GA. I've never seen that many GA planes in a line at any airport

before.
The tower told all the touch and go traffic to land or go elsewhere for a
while so they could clear out the traffic, but my oh my, I think that gave
me a taste of what to expect if I make it out to Oshkosh this year! :-)

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Nice story. One question.

Have you ever been to OSH during the rush?

My guess is no. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 14th 03, 02:37 PM
David Reinhart

If you want a "taste of Oshkosh", go to the AOPA Fly-in at FDK. I think it was
in 2002 that FDK became the second busiest airport in the country for that one
day, right behind ATL and ahead or ORH. I think the weather was IFR for 2003,
but I may be off by a year.

Dave Reinhart

Old December 14th 03, 05:44 PM
Ron Natalie

"David Reinhart" wrote in message
If you want a "taste of Oshkosh", go to the AOPA Fly-in at FDK. I think

it was
in 2002 that FDK became the second busiest airport in the country for that

one
day, right behind ATL and ahead or ORH. I think the weather was IFR for

2003,
but I may be off by a year.

Having been into Oshkosh during the airshow a number of times, I can tell
you the AOPA
fly-in is a scarey nightmare. Unlike Oshkosh where you have a few pilots
and a lot of
controllers/ground crew who have a clue, you have none of these at the AOPA
expo.
You get a bunch of people who haven't even pretended to read the NOTAM,
talking
over top of each other, unable to follow directions etc....

Don't let the AOPA flyin scare you out of flying to Oshkosh.