Prince William got his RAF wings.

Old April 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Dylan Smith

Default Prince William got his RAF wings.

On 2008-04-15, Dudley Henriques wrote:
The RAF has no interest whatsoever in losing either Prince William or
one of their aircraft and are quite competent to keep each in one piece.

He is also a Police-trained motorcyclist, with a strong interest with
the Isle of Man TT. It causes some interesting problems for the police
officer who is charged with his safety while visiting!

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old April 15th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On 2008-04-15, Dudley Henriques wrote:
The RAF has no interest whatsoever in losing either Prince William or
one of their aircraft and are quite competent to keep each in one piece.

He is also a Police-trained motorcyclist, with a strong interest with
the Isle of Man TT. It causes some interesting problems for the police
officer who is charged with his safety while visiting!

One can only imagine the conflict some of these people endure when asked
to "instruct" the Prince on these endeavors. On one hand I'm sure they
want to do a credible job of teaching him what he needs to know, while
on the other hand they have to be sweating bullets to insure he isn't
hurt in the process.
So far so good anyway. I'm sure it doesn't help the "instructors" any
when they realize that William doesn't seem to fancy himself special in
any way and wants to go at these things head on like everybody else.
:-)
I like the Prince and I admire his guts and style. I also feel sorry for
him and the people charged with instructing him because strange as it
might seem, when you are instructing in things that can kill someone,
holding back in any way can actually make the endeavor more dangerous
than it would be otherwise. Trust me, I know about these things having
instructed VERY rich pilots on go-arounds in airplanes like the P51 :-))
I remember Vince Lombardi the famous football coach once saying that the
quickest way to get seriously injured playing football was to hold back
on a tackle.
For the Prince it has to be very hard learning things like flying and
motorcycling with his instructors over compensating to protect him.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 15th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
akjcbkJA

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Denny" wrote in message
I would put them off the dole in
England in a heartbeat had I the discretion...

Yes, but that is for the Brits to decide, and they seem to rather like
their royal family; so who the hell are we to say they shouldn't have one?

For my part, I would LOVE to score a 13-week paid flying vacation with
the RAF.

Vaughn

Royal family is cheap to run and the value to the country is almost
priceless. The royal heritage is worth billions in tourism alone, (funnily
enough mostly from Americans) so whatever expense has occurred it represents
good value for money overall.

Compare that with the cost and value of a presidential candidate.

Old April 15th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Mxsmanic

akjcbkJA writes:

Royal family is cheap to run and the value to the country is almost
priceless. The royal heritage is worth billions in tourism alone, (funnily
enough mostly from Americans) so whatever expense has occurred it represents
good value for money overall.

Very few tourists visit the UK to see royals.
Old April 15th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Mxsmanic

Dudley Henriques writes:

Prince William has no solo flying privileges he hasn't earned, and any
flying he might do now or in the future I'm quite certain will be
conducted totally within the confines of his level of demonstrated
competence.

Which privileges did he miss out on by skipping 195 of the 208 weeks that a
normal RAF pilot spends in training?

Prince William's "character" as you put it, although at a very high
level, will in no way open doors for him to fly anything, or in fact do
anything, in an aircraft he hasn't been authorized by competent RAF
authority to fly.

Uh-huh.
Old April 15th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

Prince William has no solo flying privileges he hasn't earned, and any
flying he might do now or in the future I'm quite certain will be
conducted totally within the confines of his level of demonstrated
competence.

Which privileges did he miss out on by skipping 195 of the 208 weeks that a
normal RAF pilot spends in training?

Prince William's "character" as you put it, although at a very high
level, will in no way open doors for him to fly anything, or in fact do
anything, in an aircraft he hasn't been authorized by competent RAF
authority to fly.

Uh-huh.

Please take your idiotic and biased posts to someone else. I'm not
interested.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 15th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
akjcbkJA writes:

Royal family is cheap to run and the value to the country is almost
priceless. The royal heritage is worth billions in tourism alone, (funnily
enough mostly from Americans) so whatever expense has occurred it represents
good value for money overall.

Very few tourists visit the UK to see royals.

Probably true, but as usual your view of the world is blindingly narrow.

Few tourists visit anywhere JUST to see one particular thing, rather
it is the sum total of things.

Lots of people go to the UK to see the royals, the palaces, the changing
of the guard, and all the associated trappings and museums.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 15th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
george

On Apr 15, 2:58 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:
I for one will share my sky with a man of Prince William's obvious
character.

So if someone has "character," he doesn't need flying ability or training to
get a pilot's license?

It's bad enough when people depend too much on credentials; it's even worse
when the credentials have absolutely nothing to do with the activity at hand.
Be a royal, get a license--no competence or training required. Your
sycophants will still share the skies with you, no matter how dangerous you
are.

Anthony
13 weeks in the RAF is sufficient for the normally attributed human to
go solo (which he has done)
Quoted

William's first solo flight came just eight days into his RAF
training, when he piloted a propeller-driven Grob 115 E light
aircraft round the airfield at RAF Cranwell.

He then trained on the faster Tucano T1 plane at RAF
Linton-on-Ouse in North Yorkshire.

His final placement was at RAF Shawbury, Shropshire, where he
learnt to fly the Squirrel helicopter.
Se is rated on 2 fixed wing trainers and one helicopter in 13 weeks.
That is impressive !
Old April 15th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
george

On Apr 16, 6:51 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:
Prince William has no solo flying privileges he hasn't earned, and any
flying he might do now or in the future I'm quite certain will be
conducted totally within the confines of his level of demonstrated
competence.

Which privileges did he miss out on by skipping 195 of the 208 weeks that a
normal RAF pilot spends in training?

Jealousy rears its ignorant head ..

Old April 16th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,uk.rec.aviation
Mxsmanic

george writes:

Jealousy rears its ignorant head ..

I have no desire to fly for the RAF. There are much better air forces than
that, and they don't have to kowtow to a family of royals treated as superior
by accident of birth.