FAA bans Chantix

Old May 22nd 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default FAA bans Chantix

Jim Burns wrote:
...for you guys trying to quit smoking.
Jim

From the Chantix website.

Side Effects and Safety

What are the possible side effects of CHANTIX?

The most common side effects of CHANTIX include:

nausea
sleep disturbance (trouble sleeping, or vivid, unusual, or strange dreams)
constipation
gas
vomiting

Some patients reported changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood,
suicidal thinking or behavior when attempting to quit smoking while
taking CHANTIX. If you have any of these symptoms, or if your family or
caregiver observes these symptoms, please tell your doctor immediately.
Also tell your doctor about side effects that bother you or that do not
go away.

These are not all the side effects of CHANTIX. Ask your doctor or
pharmacist for more information.

Use caution driving or operating machinery until you know how quitting
smoking and/or using CHANTIX may affect you.
Old May 22nd 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

NW_Pilot wrote:
You don't need drugs to quit!!! Just QUIT!!! I am Going on my 5th year using
the cold turkey method was 3 packs a day... It's called being mentally
strong and stable.

I agree...sort of.
I have seen thousands of people with debilitating disease from smoking and
its not the lung cancer I find the most ugly. Its the vascular disease.
At the time I quit 'bout 6 years ago I realized I too am gonna get old.
The big question was if I kept up the "death sticks", what kind of old was it
gonna be.

I like my peripheral vascular perfusion and so does my lovely wife (if-ya-
know-what-I-mean) and the benefits it provides.
That really was the bug that got me to quit. The heart attacks, cancers and
strokes don't scare me as much as living with the horrors of PVD.

Maybe thats just me.

For all of you still smoking, never give up trying to stop. It can happen.

Old May 22nd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Denny writes:

The FAA has unrealistic
pharmaceutical standards... What they demand is a drug that has no
side effects... There is no such chemical... Even water has side
effects... People drown in water...

The FAA has unrealistic medical standards in general.
Old May 22nd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

The FAA has unrealistic medical standards in general.

Well, you would'nt pass the exam, so there must be some value. Besides, how
would you know, not being a pilot, flight surgeon, or physician?

Old May 22nd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Well, you would'nt pass the exam, so there must be some value.

I don't know if I'd pass the exam or not.

Besides, how would you know, not being a pilot, flight surgeon,
or physician?

Believe it or not, it's possible to know a lot about medicine without being
any of these things.
Old May 22nd 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Viperdoc writes:

Well, you would'nt pass the exam, so there must be some value.

I don't know if I'd pass the exam or not.

You're bad eye may cause you problems.

Old May 22nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

You're bad eye may cause you problems.

I don't understand.
Old May 22nd 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steve Foley wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Viperdoc writes:

Well, you would'nt pass the exam, so there must be some value.

I don't know if I'd pass the exam or not.

You're bad eye may cause you problems.

Not to mention the constant correction of and argueing with the CFI
that has to sign off before he could take the written and practical.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 22nd 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Helen Waite

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Steve Foley writes:

You're bad eye may cause you problems.

I don't understand.

You don't understand because you're an ignoramus.

Old May 22nd 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

As an FAA AME I can categorically state that you would not pass the exam for
even class III.