Trailer refinish

Old January 30th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Schmidt L4

Default Trailer refinish

Has anyone had a body shop repaint their trailer? I'm wondering how
much you paid, any advice, gotchas to watch out for, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Schmidt L4
Old January 30th 12, 10:28 PM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schmidt L4 View Post
Has anyone had a body shop repaint their trailer? I'm wondering how
much you paid, any advice, gotchas to watch out for, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Schmidt L4
Hi Mark,

I had this done on my Schreder (sp.??) tube-type aluminum trailer for my ASW-19 last year. It had spent a lot of time outside over the years, and the aluminum was pretty dingy looking. Polishing it just accentuated all the hail dings it had accrued, so I decided to paint it.

It was ~$1100 to prep and paint it...since it's aluminum, they have to do some special prep work (acid wash?) for the metal to hold the paint. Went over it with a nice automotive white. Nobody will mistake it for a new Cobra trailer, but it looks lots better than it did!

A mistake we made was to apply paint over some of the seams where the aluminum panels met that had had some seam sealer applied. It looked good for a while, but I guess the flexing and other loads from trailering caused the paint to flake off the sealer in a few spots. Not that big a deal to me, but then I remember what it looked like when I started! Probably should have removed the sealer that was externally applied and put it on from the inside...Next time!

Regards,

Rob S.
ZAP
Old February 2nd 12, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Sierra

I had my Cobra aluminum trailer (vintage 1997) completely reprinted by an auto paint shop with Lexus white paint and several coats of clear finish. Looks spectacular. The whole thing was paid by my glider storage guys who damaged the prior finish when their painters spilled paint on my trailer while painting the storage shed roof. Their cost for my repainting was $2,400. Thia included replicating the decals on the trailer.I got a great deal!
Old February 3rd 12, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Jan 30, 12:43*pm, Mark Schmidt L4
wrote:
Has anyone had a body shop repaint their trailer? I'm wondering how
much you paid, any advice, gotchas to watch out for, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Schmidt L4

Make sure they do not sand blast the trailer. I know of one done this
way and it looked like a Flintstones Special. It was a total write-off
as a result. Lynn Wyman (KC)