request for fighter pilot statistic

Old November 11th 05, 06:18 PM
gatt

Default request for fighter pilot statistic

Anybody have any leads to reputable information about fighter pilot fatality
statistics?

For example, in terms of miles, is commuting more dangerous than flying a
fighter plane? (I say no, many say yes.)

Context: Can a Coward Become a Fighter Pilot? (Yeah, I know. That's so
2000.)

-chris
PP-ASEL-IA

Old November 11th 05, 06:23 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:18:36 GMT, "gatt"
wrote in
::

Anybody have any leads to reputable information about fighter pilot fatality
statistics?

For example, in terms of miles, is commuting more dangerous than flying a
fighter plane? (I say no, many say yes.)

Context: Can a Coward Become a Fighter Pilot? (Yeah, I know. That's so
2000.)

I'll bet lots of folks who frequent rec.aviation.military can respond
to your inquiry. I'll crosspost this followup there for you.
Old November 11th 05, 09:52 PM

You can get statistics on each individual plane in terms of accidents
per hour.

http://afsafety.af.mil/ is the main page
You probably want this page
http://afsafety.af.mil/AFSC/RDBMS/Fl...aft_stats.html

This is the website where you file FOIAs to get crash information. Lots
of sleaze-bags on the net charge for this information.

Shrub flew the F-104. It is really an intercept aircraft, so it
wouldn't be likely to see a dog fight, especially in Alabama. In
Shrub's favor, while it would be the plane of choice to fly in the
theater if you didn't want to see action, the F-104 was a deathtrap
compared to other aircraft, strictly from an operational standpoint.

Old November 11th 05, 10:05 PM
james cho

Larry Dighera wrote:
For example, in terms of miles, is commuting more dangerous than flying a
fighter plane? (I say no, many say yes.)

What time period? The past ten years, the 1940s or since the beginning
of aviation? Your results would vary dramatically depending on the
range of events of the time, I think.

james
Old November 11th 05, 10:17 PM
Ed Rasimus

Whether the term of reference is "miles" or "hours", I'll only offer
that I don't personally know any daily commuters who have died in that
endeavor. I've known and flown with at least a hundred guys who died in
tactical fighters. That evidence is only anecdotal, but it works for
me.

As for "can a coward become a Fighter Pilot"? The clear answer is no. A
coward might become a pilot flying fighters, but would never be a
Fighter Pilot.

Old November 11th 05, 11:02 PM
Ed Rasimus

I assume that "Shrub" is your intellectual colloquialism for the
President of the United States. If so, you should then have some
command of facts before spouting off.

The aircraft the President flew while in Texas Air National Guard
service was the F-102, NOT the F-104. He flew the Deuce in Texas, not
in Alabama. He flew AF jets for more than five years (more than twice
as long as John Kerry's military service).

The F-102 was a single-seat, single-engine delta winged interceptor.
Like all Century series single-seat, single-engine jets it could kill
you on any given day.

Old November 12th 05, 02:16 AM
Jase Vanover

I've always heard that the F-104 was a superb aircraft for what it was
designed for (high speed, high altitude intercept), but by the time it was
operational the needs had changed, and the attempts to adapt it to the needs
of the time played to it's weaknesses.

It was freakin' fast (first plane capable of sustained Mach 2+), and held
records of the day for altitude and time to climb. I've seen a parked one
at the museum in Ottawa, Canada. Smallish in nature, but hot lines... a
looker and real "sports car."

The "missle with the man in it" is indeed an interesting, if not
particularly successful aircraft.

oups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 02:40 AM

Fatalities per hour
F102: 75 /2606799=2.9e-5
F16D: 32 /710960=4.5e-5

Eh, not so dangerous after all. Maybe Shrub isn't all that dumbya after
all.