Dogfight

Old January 13th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
William Hung[_2_]

Default Dogfight

So I'm watching (right now as I'm typing this) Dogfight on History
channel and was wondering if MS' FlightSim is used in making the CG on
the show.

Wil
Old January 13th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
miket6065

Now on the HIstory channel website in the Dogfight section they mention
using special software.

Enjoy the show while you can this is the last season.

Old January 13th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 13, 2:45*pm, "miket6065" wrote:
Now on the HIstory channel website in the Dogfight section they mention
using special software.

Enjoy the show while you can this is the last season.

Thanks for that. Last season? Why? I thought it was doing well.

Wil
Old January 13th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military

On Jan 13, 11:51*am, William Hung wrote:
So I'm watching (right now as I'm typing this) Dogfight on History
channel and was wondering if MS' FlightSim is used in making the CG on
the show.

Wil

Nah. It'd be much easier to do with some other rendering program. I
figure it has to be something really high end for use for TV. MSFS
doesn't even have a mode that would allow you to control the models
and their positions.

I don't know what Hollywood uses, but a lot of computer games do their
high end stuff with 3D Studio Maxx.
Old January 14th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
CCBlack

On Jan 13, 11:51*am, William Hung wrote:
So I'm watching (right now as I'm typing this) Dogfight on History
channel and was wondering if MS' FlightSim is used in making the CG on
the show.

I've been an avid flight simmer for years and I'm not sure what
software the History Channel is using for that show. But when I first
saw dogfights it reminded me very much of the flight sim called "
Wings over Vietnam ". Interesting because as a game/flight sim I
thought that the game sucked ... but the visuals were incredible. The
aircraft were incredible ... but the scenery kinda sucked.

You can do the same external views, and also when your in the cockpit
you can look around just like they do in the show.

It was really a strange program ... I always thought that the
producers of that game just sold it the way it was so that producers
could get a look at the flight model ... you know as an offshoot ...
not so much that flight simmers would enjoy it. Because I didn't. It
was more just ' eye candy ' .

Chris

Old January 14th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
FledgeIII

On Jan 14, 11:48 am, CCBlack wrote:
[...]

Dudley could likely ask someone in the sim biz and find out who's
system is doing the rendering. I'd think that's a fairly tight
fraternity.

Agreed that overall, the show looks nice.

One quibble is that attention to detail accuracy seems to either slip
or get a little spectacular at times - especially post *boom*; a Mig
gets hit and goes on to defy rational physics before/while coming
apart - or one of HMS Hood's rear turrets gets thrown several hundred
feet in the air from a Prince of Wales' bridge POV shot, perhaps for
"dramatic effect".
Old January 14th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 13, 11:45*am, "miket6065" wrote:
Now on the HIstory channel website in the Dogfight section they mention
using special software.

Enjoy the show while you can this is the last season.

That's the rumor although no official word has come out. The
production company may be shoping it to other networks that can pay
more. My brother is a TV producer and has access to a database of
shows that shows their current status. The last update to the DB was
in March of 07 saying the HC had purchased X number of episodes so
nothing yet.

-Robert
Old January 14th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 14, 9:17*am, FledgeIII wrote:

Dudley could likely ask someone in the sim biz and find out who's
system is doing the rendering. I'd think that's a fairly tight
fraternity.

Not sure what the benefit of using a flight sim program would be. I
assume they would use the same animation software that they use for
anything else. They're more concerned with texturing then realistic
flight. They map out the flights before hand so a flight sim program
that injected "real world" affects would just be a nucense.

-robert
Old January 14th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.military
FledgeIII

On Jan 14, 12:36 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jan 14, 9:17 am, FledgeIII wrote:

Dudley could likely ask someone in the sim biz and find out who's
system is doing the rendering. I'd think that's a fairly tight
fraternity.

Not sure what the benefit of using a flight sim program would be. I
assume they would use the same animation software that they use for
anything else. They're more concerned with texturing then realistic
flight. They map out the flights before hand so a flight sim program
that injected "real world" affects would just be a nucense.

-robert

Didn't mean to say that a particular *sim* was doing the show - rather
that there's any number of off the shelf flight model/graphics
engines out there that could be generically applied.

IOW, it's doubtful that someone developed a proprietary system solely
for a single show.

Other than that, I personally wouldn't know.

dogfight [email protected] Piloting 79 December 22nd 07 09:40 AM
ac_DemelleTodd-Dogfight.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 15th 07 02:36 PM
The Old Ones Are The Best Ones - dogfight.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 June 10th 07 01:30 PM
Best dogfight gun? Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 317 January 24th 04 06:24 PM