Price Drop in Garmin Portables

Old June 29th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Default Price Drop in Garmin Portables

"Newps" == Newps writes:

Newps https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=9158#

What, I'll get to fly in Europe?
--
I'd rather be rich than stupid.
- Jack Handey

Old June 29th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jonathan,

Except that, oops, the Lowrance 2000c doesn't have XM weather.

What weather? (Thomas, Hamburg, Germany)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 29th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Marco Leon wrote:

The 496 is now down to $2,395 for many stores. Since the vendors need an
OK from Garmin to do this, it may mean a new one on the horizon... Anyone
know more info?

Yep, it will look like this. Think 3D.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=9158#

3D as in the Chelton PFD or 3D in terms of satellite imagery? If it's the
former, I can't see how they would do the AHRS in a portable for a
reasonable price. If it's the latter, I don't see satellite imagery adding a
significant capability over the current terrain feautres in the 496. I
believe I even posted a while back about the possibility of satellite
imagery (soon after the marine portables came out with them) but the
consensus was that it was no big deal.

Marco

Old June 29th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
Yeah but those 15 guys have to go out and buy the 596 to get that
capability. Brilliance. Hey Kyle, do you work for Garmin's marketing
department??

Man, I hope my engineer buddies don't see your post. They would never let
me live it down...

If you think about it, that capability would come out of requirements
exercises and therefore it's a system engineering function. So the
"marketing department" was incorrectly used in my question.

Marco

Old July 2nd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

texasflyer wrote:
Garmin needs to drop their prices on much more than just a measly $400
off their top end model.

They need to quit being such greedy bastages and come out with a nice
basic, easy to use, portable aviation GPS with large color "portrait"
screen, with WAAS, terrain/obstacle data, airport data, built-in
flight log and E6B calculator features, "land mode", etc, etc, etc,
and sell it for under $800 with all the common accessories such as
cables, yoke mounts, etc, all included in the package price.

Oh wait... I've just described the Lowrance 2000C !!!!!!

One could easily counter that Lowrence needs to stop being greedy and ADD XM
weather.

Old July 4th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
texasflyer wrote:
Garmin needs to drop their prices on much more than just a measly $400
off their top end model.

They need to quit being such greedy bastages and come out with a nice
basic, easy to use, portable aviation GPS with large color "portrait"
screen, with WAAS, terrain/obstacle data, airport data, built-in
flight log and E6B calculator features, "land mode", etc, etc, etc,
and sell it for under $800 with all the common accessories such as
cables, yoke mounts, etc, all included in the package price.

Oh wait... I've just described the Lowrance 2000C !!!!!!

One could easily counter that Lowrence needs to stop being greedy and ADD
XM weather.

At SnF, I spoke with the founder of Lowrance (Darrel, if I remember
correctly). He indicated that when the company was purchased by a company
more closely aligned with the Marine/boating industry, assets were shifted
to create some upscale products for marine navigation. This kept Lowrance
from having the first XM aviation weather GPS.

He also indicated that Lowrance would be bringing an XM product to the
aviation market.

FYI, he's a big aviation enthusiast and owns several airplanes, including a
Pilatus, an Extra, a Sukhoi, a couple more I can't remember. He was looking
for a Cub or similar..

KB

Old July 4th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:27:11 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

He also indicated that Lowrance would be bringing an XM product to the
aviation market.

Bendix/King's KDR610 is an XM unit which replaces the KDR510
ground-station uplink, which has been EOL'd for 6/30/08 according to
their upgrade bulletin. Looks like XM is just about it for in-flight
weather.
Old July 5th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

texasflyer wrote:
[...]

I hope they put one out but seeing as Garmin is on their second generation
XM unit and my well be about to release the 3rd all I can say is Lowrence
needs to get off the pot becuase Garmin has XM on some of their marine
products as well.