VFR Flight Following -- What's going on here?

Old June 29th 05, 03:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:JAowe.100477$_o.19783@attbi_s71...

Paul Poberezny (the founder of EAA, father of the current president, Tom)
has started a competing group (whose name I can't recall -- Homebuilders
Aircraft Association? Sport Aircraft Association?) because so many EAA
members have felt disenfranchised by the direction the group has taken in
recent years. It is apparently growing steadily.

Paul Poberezny founded the Sport Aviation Association in 1970 while he was
still president of EAA. It was pretty much dormant until about ten years
ago.

http://www.sportaviation.org/

Old June 29th 05, 03:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Paul Poberezny founded the Sport Aviation Association in 1970 while he was
still president of EAA. It was pretty much dormant until about ten years
ago.

http://www.sportaviation.org/

Wow -- 1970! That's really a surprise.

I wonder what he was thinking at the time? Creating a new Association
sounds like the kind of thing someone would do who is facing a power
struggle for control at the top of an organization.

Was someone bucking Paul for control of EAA back in '70?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 03:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Wow -- 1970! That's really a surprise.

I wonder what he was thinking at the time? Creating a new Association
sounds like the kind of thing someone would do who is facing a power
struggle for control at the top of an organization.

Was someone bucking Paul for control of EAA back in '70?

I don't know. I first learned of the EAA in 1970 when I was a mere lad of
13. That was the year the convention moved permanently to OSH and local
television began covering it. I became a member the following year. I
don't recall any effort to oust Paul but at that age I wouldn't have paid
any attention to that kind of stuff. I have since obtained all back issues
of "Sport Aviation", one of these days I'll dig into them and see what I can
find out.

Old June 29th 05, 10:27 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
Although I have noticed a sub-strata of homebuilders who absolutely (and
inexplicably, IMHO) despise EAA.

I was unaware that that sort of sentiment existed toward the EAA.

Really?

Paul Poberezny (the founder of EAA, father of the current president, Tom)
has started a competing group (whose name I can't recall -- Homebuilders
Aircraft Association? Sport Aircraft Association?) because so many EAA
members have felt disenfranchised by the direction the group has taken in
recent years. It is apparently growing steadily.

Go to the AAA (Antique Aircraft Association) fly-in in Blakesburg -- of
which Paul Poberezney is a regular attendee and a member -- and they can
barely speak of EAA without spitting.

What does this say about Paul's attitude toward the direction his son is
taking EAA?

It says nothing. I have talked to Paul on a number of occasions and more
than once he stated that in his opinion Tom was the only person he knew,
except his daughter Bonnie, that he felt could do EAA justice. Paul started
the Sport Aviation group decades ago as an adjunct to EAA, not as a
competitor.

Funny how the naysayers get on their rivet boxes and spout drivel but when
it is suggested they start an aviation organization to meet their perceived
needs they vanish within seconds.

Old June 30th 05, 04:08 PM
Jay Honeck

What does this say about Paul's attitude toward the direction his son is
taking EAA?

It says nothing. I have talked to Paul on a number of occasions and more
than once he stated that in his opinion Tom was the only person he knew,
except his daughter Bonnie, that he felt could do EAA justice. Paul
started
the Sport Aviation group decades ago as an adjunct to EAA, not as a
competitor.

Funny how the naysayers get on their rivet boxes and spout drivel but when
it is suggested they start an aviation organization to meet their
perceived
needs they vanish within seconds.

Thanks for the information, Dave. I hope you don't think that I'm an EAA
detractor, because I'm not. In fact, I can't figure out how or why some
people are so down on an organization that has done so much for GA, and I
happily shell out my dues year in and year out.

Which isn't to say I'm 100% satisfied with them. I think, in some ways,
they've grown too big and too commercial, and I wish they were more
responsive to the little guys. But that was probably inevitable as EAA
evolved into the multi-million dollar business it is today.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 05, 04:46 PM
Bob Moore

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Thanks for the information, Dave. I hope you don't think that I'm an
EAA detractor, because I'm not. In fact, I can't figure out how or
why some people are so down on an organization that has done so much
for GA,

Because I don't see that as the function of the EAA. I first joined
back in 1964 because it was a "club" of, by, and for homebuilders.
Paul then took it off on a "warbird" kick and then along came Tom
who saw it as a money making operation.

WE have the AOPA to promote General Aviation.

Bob Moore
Old June 30th 05, 05:19 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks for the information, Dave. I hope you don't think that I'm an
EAA detractor, because I'm not. In fact, I can't figure out how or
why some people are so down on an organization that has done so much
for GA,

Because I don't see that as the function of the EAA. I first joined
back in 1964 because it was a "club" of, by, and for homebuilders.
Paul then took it off on a "warbird" kick and then along came Tom
who saw it as a money making operation.

WE have the AOPA to promote General Aviation.

I understand your point, Bob, but I don't think EAA has lost sight of the
fact that home-building is their purpose.

All you have to do is look at the fabulous array of homebuilt aircraft --
none of which existed prior to EAA -- to see that they have been pretty
effective at what they do.

And, quite frankly, it is all the homebuilder articles in Sport Aviation
that have given me the yawns -- but I understand that the magazine exists
for that purpose, so I'm not about to bitch. I just skim past the endless
"Bucking Rivets" articles, and move on to Amy Laboda's column.

Personally, I think Scott Spangler (Sport Aviation's editor) has done a very
good job of finding a balance between making the magazine an endless parade
of "How to Build a Wing Rib" articles and too many "Flying the Citation"
articles. He's got a delicate act, trying to keep everyone happy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 05, 05:43 PM
Bob Moore

"Jay Honeck" wrote
And, quite frankly, it is all the homebuilder articles in Sport
Aviation that have given me the yawns -- but I understand that the
magazine exists for that purpose, so I'm not about to bitch. I just
skim past the endless "Bucking Rivets" articles, and move on to Amy
Laboda's column.

But...the EAA was founded and then grew for many years as
a "homebuilders only" organization until you outsiders came
in and hijacked the organization. :-)

Bob
Old July 1st 05, 12:58 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Thanks for the information, Dave. I hope you don't think that I'm an EAA
detractor, because I'm not.

Jay, I had no such thought.

Old July 1st 05, 01:11 AM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Jay Honeck" wrote

Thanks for the information, Dave. I hope you don't think that I'm an
EAA detractor, because I'm not. In fact, I can't figure out how or
why some people are so down on an organization that has done so much
for GA,

Because I don't see that as the function of the EAA. I first joined
back in 1964 because it was a "club" of, by, and for homebuilders.
Paul then took it off on a "warbird" kick and then along came Tom
who saw it as a money making operation.

WE have the AOPA to promote General Aviation.

What is wrong with multiple organizations promoting GA? The more the
merrier in my book

It is true EAA started as a home builder organization. That was in the days
of owner designed or plans built aircraft. Those days are for all practical
purposes gone. 1964 was a long, long time ago. With the current quick
build kits, excellent manufacturer support and the internet the original
purpose of EAA is no longer needed. Have you noticed you need to look very
hard to find the name Experimental Aircraft Association. Had EAA stayed
their original course they would have expired long ago. In most chapters
homebuilders are a small minority.

As far as money making, you either do or you go away. Money is good. Very,
very, very good!

Largest current contingent within EAA is antique, vintage and classic.

Bob Moore