Cockpit midget-door on DC3?

Old August 22nd 05, 04:29 PM
Adam Aulick

Default Cockpit midget-door on DC3?

At Oshkosh, I was noticing that DC3s have a little half-height door
behind and below the pilot's seat, and about one, maybe two hairs
forward of the left prop. There's a good picture on this ebay auction
(scroll down):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1944-DC-3-C47-Multi-Engine-Aircraft_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63678QQitemZ45 68256276QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

What is this door for? I was discussing it with a friend and the best
idea we could come up with was immediate, grisly death.

~Adam Aulick

postscript: if anybody here is considering auctioning their DC3 on ebay,
with pictures showing faded paint, water driplines, and equipment piled
up under the wings, you might want to mention whether or not it's
airworty....
Old August 22nd 05, 04:36 PM
WRE

Its called the meat grinder(for obvious reasons)
Its a way out for the crew in case the rear exit is block
However, as I was told when I flew one for a cargo company a few years
back....make sure the prop isnt spinning when you go out that door!

Old August 22nd 05, 04:39 PM
WRE

One other thing....it could also be used as a way in for the crew if you had
the rear of the aircraft slam full of cargo.....

Old August 22nd 05, 04:45 PM
Flyingmonk

Adam wrote:
you might want to mention whether or not it's airworty....

In the Q&A section:
Q: will she fly to MPHS TN

A: This aircraft needs approximately 20 to 30 hours of work before she
is ferryable.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:17 AM
John Gaquin

"Adam Aulick" wrote in message

At Oshkosh, I was noticing that DC3s have a little half-height door behind
and below the pilot's seat,

What is this door for?

emerg crew exit, inconvenient access if the back is full, etc. when I
flew these, that was referred to as the "hamburger door".

Old August 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
Bob Chilcoat

That door on the DC-3 I checked out somewhere, had a placard on the inside
that said, in big red letters, "DO NOT OPEN DOOR WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING".
Guess not.