See and avoid

Old March 19th 04, 04:00 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bill Denton wrote:

I long ago determined that you are
one of those people who will "argue with a fence post", as we say in the
South.

And you're dumb as one (as we say in the South).

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Old March 19th 04, 08:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"Brad Z" wrote in message
This is possibly the stupidest debate about the stupidest topic on the
usenet.

You've GOT to be kidding. Usenet can get WAY stupider than this. I've seen
no evidence of a lower bound.

Old March 19th 04, 10:46 AM
Cub Driver

Well, for one thing, many light airplanes were built before turn
indicators were adopted

For another, it's easier to see the airplane turning than it is to see
a turn indicator.

On 18 Mar 2004 06:57:21 -0800, (Kees Mies) wrote:

Hi All,

Just wondering.
Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?
The see-and-avoid concept has its shortcomings, but I have sometimes more
problems with see-and-what-is-he/she-upto??????

Kees.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 19th 04, 02:10 PM
Captain Wubba

"Brad Z" wrote in message news:7wv6c.38286$Cb.580575@attbi_s51...
This is possibly the stupidest debate about the stupidest topic on the
usenet.

LOL. Which is, in itself, pretty impressive. But just wait...Eagleson
hasn't weighed in yet on the 'Eagleson Turn Signal System': "Wings
going downitudinous towards the extreme turning make the
signaling/turning ratio of lightedness bright so he can see!"

Cap

Old March 19th 04, 04:42 PM
Teacherjh

This is possibly the stupidest debate about the stupidest topic on the
usenet.

Say, why don't airplanes have horns to honk? If you see an airplane with its
blinkers flashing a left turn, and he's going right into your lane, you can't
honk to get him out of the way.

Now is that dumb or what?

Jose

Old March 19th 04, 06:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

Teacherjh wrote:

Say, why don't airplanes have horns to honk? If you see an airplane with
its blinkers flashing a left turn, and he's going right into your lane,
you can't honk to get him out of the way.

Who can hear a honk over the engine noise? Flares...we need flares. We can
fire a few across the bow of anyone about to turn into our lane. And then
if they continue, we fire a little closer.

- Andrew

Old March 19th 04, 11:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Teacherjh wrote:

Say, why don't airplanes have horns to honk?

I've seen one that did (or maybe has?). Dunno how they got the thing approved.

Old March 19th 04, 11:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

Well, for one thing, many light airplanes were built before turn
indicators were adopted

Dunno if that's applicable. Many cars were too!