Scott Crossfield missing

Old April 20th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Scott Crossfield missing

USA Today says Crossfield missing in a 210 over Georgia in TS. Anybody
have details?
Old April 20th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

BillJ wrote:
USA Today says Crossfield missing in a 210 over Georgia in TS. Anybody
have details?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a074738D89.DTL

04-20) 07:49 PDT Lawrenceville, Ga. (AP) --

A single-engine airplane registered to legendary test pilot Scott Crossfield,
the first man to fly at Mach 2 and Mach 3, was missing Thursday, a day after it
left Alabama for the Washington, D.C., area.

The plane was last spotted on radar Wednesday in Georgia, north of Atlanta, the
Civil Air Patrol's Georgia Wing said.

Capt. Paige Joyner said officials had no confirmation that Crossfield was in the
plane and the air patrol does not "have any confirmation who the pilot was."

A man who answered the phone at Crossfield's home in Herndon, Va., declined to
say whether Crossfield was missing and referred questions to the Civil Air
Patrol.

The plane left Prattville, Ala., around 9 a.m. Wednesday en route to Manassas,
Va.

Crossfield, now 84, became the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound
piloting the Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket to a speed of 1,291 mph in November
1953, according to the Edwards Air Force Base Web site.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 20th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

BillJ wrote:

USA Today says Crossfield missing in a 210 over Georgia in TS. Anybody
have details?

Flight track at flightaware.com for N6579X. Track stops north of
Atlanta. Ground speed suddenly drops by 60 knots at 11,000 Ft.
Old April 20th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/geo...ane/index.html
Old April 20th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

BillJ wrote:

Flight track at flightaware.com for N6579X. Track stops north of
Atlanta. Ground speed suddenly drops by 60 knots at 11,000 Ft.

Airliners.net has a picture of the aircraft in better days:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0048724/L/

In this particular photo, it doesn't appear that the aircraft was equipped
with weather radar.

--
Peter
Old April 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, said:
On 4/20/2006 11:14 AM, BillJ wrote the following:
USA Today says Crossfield missing in a 210 over Georgia in TS. Anybody
have details?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/geo...ane/index.html

It's now confirmed that he's dead:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a111425D26.DTL
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=19633

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I forsee one of those "open your wallet and repeat after me,
Old April 20th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Too bad, he will be missed.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old April 21st 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:11:20 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Too bad, he will be missed.

Yes, he and Yeager the most famous X series pilots.
Can anyone recommend a book on the X series and the pilotting?
I'd like to read up on what it was really like for them.

Stan