Lycoming SB569 - how many changing cranks as a precaution?

Old April 24th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning

Default Lycoming SB569 - how many changing cranks as a precaution?

Mine has not been on the list. Knock on wood, er aluminum.

Ross

Peter wrote:

Clearly it's Lyco's intention to get people to take up their $2000
offer as soon as possible.

What is unclear is exactly WHY. Are these 5500 or so cranks actually
defective? They claim none have yet failed, and the youngest are early
2002. The oldest are about 1997.

A factor is the reduction in the value of the aircraft if one wants to
sell it. I'd bet a prospective buyer will want to see the SB done.
Plus anything that surfaces when the engine is opened up, of course...

My engine is affected, but being on N-reg I don't have to do it unless
it becomes an AD.

I wonder how many of you will be changing the cranks anyway.