Non existent VOR

Old April 4th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Non existent VOR

Steven Barnes wrote:

I'm late in joining this thread, but on an Angel Flight a year or so ago, I
was happily moving along my IFR flight plan following airways when IND
approach told my the Hoosier VOR was OTS. I was never told that during my
briefing. 3 seconds after an "uhh... stand by" on my part, IND offered
vector direct to my next VOR. Duh. D - next waypoint & we're off. Actually
shaved a few minutes off, anyway.
It did kind of surprise me, though.

I've also seen (on an Angel flight, coincidentally) that I knew from NOTAMs that
a VOR was scheduled to go OTS for maintenance during my flight, and should go
out of service about the time I got to it. I was surprised to find I received
the identifier, and queried ATC - was the VOR operational or not? They had no
clue. Shortly after that the identifier stopped, and I informed ATC I would be
out of navaid range for a few minutes and requested they monitor my track, which
they agreed to do.

Curiosity question for ATCers: how do you find out about inop navaids?

Dave
Old April 4th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

I've also seen (on an Angel flight, coincidentally) that I knew from
NOTAMs that a VOR was scheduled to go OTS for maintenance during my
flight, and should go out of service about the time I got to it. I was
surprised to find I received the identifier, and queried ATC - was the VOR
operational or not? They had no clue. Shortly after that the identifier
stopped, and I informed ATC I would be out of navaid range for a few
minutes and requested they monitor my track, which they agreed to do.

Curiosity question for ATCers: how do you find out about inop navaids?

Requests for maintenance outages on NAVAIDs within the airspace delegated to
the facility are made by Airway Facilities. If they're approved, we show
the NAVAID OTS. If a NAVAID in an adjacent facility is OTS we're generally
notified by that facility.

Old April 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 04/04/06 06:37, Dave Butler wrote:
Steven Barnes wrote:

[...]

I'm not criticizing, but am just curious: Why did you plan your flight
route such that it depended on the VOR even when it was NOTAM'd to be OTS?

Curiosity question for ATCers: how do you find out about inop navaids?

Dave

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old April 4th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mark Hansen wrote:

I'm not criticizing, but am just curious: Why did you plan your flight
route such that it depended on the VOR even when it was NOTAM'd to be OTS?

Because I knew I could safely navigate without the VOR. I was carrying a
handheld GPS, I planned to be in contact with ATC, the weather was severe clear,
the terrain was flat. I could easily have navigated visually or by dead
reckoning if necessary.
Old April 26th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

john smith wrote in news:jsmith-ED8342.17581501042006
@network-065-024-007-028.columbus.rr.com:

I flew from Ohio to Florida early this week. The third leg was from
Valdosta (KVLD) GA to West Palm Beach (KPBI) FL.
My originally filed route was amended twice before I got 25 miles. JAX
Center gave me PHK (Pahokee VOR) as my final fix before KPBI.
As I was nearing the east shore of Lake Okeechobee, the approach
controller asked me if I was going direct to some intersection.
I responded that I was flying direct PHK.
He then told me PHK had disappeared in one of the hurricanes last year.
I told him that I was going to ask if any had reported that the VOR was
out of service, as I had not been receiving any signal on the nav
receiver.
There was no NOTAM in any of my briefings, center gave me an amended
clearance with the fix included, and it is charted on the new charts
(IFR and Sectionals).
Only the local controllers told seem to know the navaid did not exist.
This one gets a NASA Form 277.

Sorry, I haven't had time to read this group for awhile, so I'm replying
to a rather old post.

The Sabine Pass (SBI) and Leeville (LEV) VORs were also destroyed by
Katrina and Rita. LEV is back up, but AFAIK SBI is still OTS (at least
it was a couple of weeks ago). You have to check the NOTAMs for stuff
like this, that's what they're for.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin